- Thursday 25 June 2020
Improved roads, pathways and parks are a focus for Division 9 in Sunshine Coast Council’s 2020/21 budget delivered on Thursday 25 June, 2020.
Division 9 Councillor Maria Suarez said the projects planned for the division over the next 12 months would help to support our community and build a healthy, smart, creative region.
“Supporting our community has been a key focus for council in delivering this year’s budget,” Cr Suarez said.
“Meeting the needs of the community as we recover from the effects of the COVID-19 pandemic has greatly influenced preparation of this year’s council budget.
“For example, recent applications for council grants have far exceeded supply and as a result, the community grants program funding has increased from $3 million to $4.5 million, which Division 9 not-for-profit groups may be eligible for.”
Cr Suarez said residents would also see work happening on the ground around the division.
“Two roads are scheduled to be upgraded from gravel to a sealed surface, with the design phase for part of North Arm-Yandina Creek Road, Yandina Creek being finalised this year, and the construction starting on Oyster Bank Road, Bli Bli.
“Work will be done to make the pedestrian and cycling facilities around Peregian Springs State School and Coolum State High School precinct safer for students walking and riding their bikes or scooters to school.
“Coolum High School parents will be pleased to know more parking bays will also be built near the school.
“And work will continue on the expansion of the Nambour Landfill and the refurbishment of the Nambour Resource Recovery Centre, Bli Bli, so it can cater for our community into the future, providing contemporary facilities.”
Visit www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au/budget for more information on Sunshine Coast Council’s 2020/21 Budget.
Division 9 highlights for the 2020/21 budget include:
• $4.85 million to improve and expand the Nambour Landfill and Resource Recovery Centre, Bli Bli
• $1 million for stormwater works at Cinnamon Avenue, Coolum Beach
• $977,000 to upgrade pedestrian and cycling facilities and for new car parking at Coolum State High School, Coolum Beach
• $220,000 to upgrade Oyster Bank Road, Bli Bli from gravel to sealed
• $180,000 to upgrade pedestrian and cycling facilities around Peregian Springs State School, Peregian Springs
• $165,000 for Doonan Creek Environmental Reserve, Verrierdale for the staged development of trail construction works
• $110,000 for a new fenced dog off leash facility in Muller Park, Bli Bli
• $50,000 for Coolum Beach Holiday Park, Coolum for electrical upgrade works to improve capacity
• $20,000 to finalise the design to upgrade gravel sections of North Arm-Yandina Creek Road and Zgrajewski Rd, Yandina Creek
• $15,000 to replace play equipment at Peachtree Park Playground, Peregian Springs
• $10,000 to replace the basketball unit at Laguna Grove Park, Doonan.