Are you planning to make some home improvements?
  • Wednesday 14 October 2015

Don’t forget to ensure you have appropriate building approvals first.

A building approval may be required for swimming pools, decks, sheds, garages, patios, carports, shade sails, gazebos, enclosing under a house, extensions and renovations.

The first step is to contact a building certifier. Building certifiers are responsible for assessing whether proposed building work complies with all relevant provisions of the Building Act 1975 and associated standards. Private building certifiers are listed online and in the telephone book. A building certifier will advise whether a building approval is required and, if so, will make the application on your behalf.

Building certifiers must complete regular inspections to ensure the building work complies with the approval. When you receive the building approval, it will state the inspections required and at what stages of construction they must be completed.

Some aspects of domestic building work such as the maximum height, setback or character of a building may be controlled under a council planning scheme and a planning permit may be required from council.

For more information click here.


First appeared in the Sunshine Coast Daily October 12, 2015