November 2021 was when businesses could apply for a three-year permit to operate on public land for the period 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2025. Applications closed 12 December 2021.
Applications were only accepted for approved activities and locations. Approved activities range from:
- surfing and kite surfing schools
- jetski or boat hire
- stand up paddle boarding
- sky diving
- refreshment vans and
- mobile dog washing
On 28 April 2022, Council awarded three year permits to successful applicants for approved locations and activities across the region. Successful applicants are permitted to operate at approved locations and activities, for the period 1 July 2022 to 30 June 2025.
See the list of permits issued to successful applicants (DOCX, 276KB).
Vacant locations and activities
There are some activities which council did not receive any applications for. These remain vacant and available to businesses interested in submitting an application. Refer to the list of vacant locations and activities (DOCX, 259KB).
Council has an information pack that explains the application and assessment process. The information pack has everything you need to know about:
- permit requirements
- types of activities
- associated fees and
- assessment process.
To get an information pack, please send an email to [email protected].
Application process background
The high-use / high-impact application process commenced following a regional community engagement program.
This process is about achieving balance between:
- the community’s vision of the use of community land
- small businesses wanting to use that land
- the needs of existing and well-established businesses near that land
Council reviewed all suggestions and recommendations received during the consultation period.
The Community Land and Complementary Commercial Activity Strategic Policy, states that:
- community use and users of community land take precedence over commercial use
- commercial use must not impact on community safety, access and visual impacts.
The new application process:
- makes it easier to apply for high-use / high-impact permits
- focuses on the quality and professionalism of the service, including safety
Email questions about the application process, [email protected].