- Last updated:
- 10 Dec 2017
Applications for the 2017 Speak Up Engage program are currently closed.
Speak Up Engage is council's youth engagement and development program. The program is about giving young people a voice. Since 2008, council has assisted young people to develop and deliver youth focused research and engagement projects across the region, working to identify the needs, experiences and interests of young people.
This unique and innovative program aims to develop the leadership potential of local young people and will provide project management experience, free professional and personal development training and mentoring opportunities. Participants will also be given the unique opportunity to work with council staff to create a new Youth Action Plan that will shape how we support young people in to the future.
The key aims of the 2017/2018 program are to:
- build the confidence and skills of program participants in leadership, advocacy, project planning and event management
- create a new Sunshine Coast Youth Action Plan that will shape how Council supports young people in to the future
- create a positive perception of young people within the community
- empower young people to better engage with their community and with Sunshine Coast Council
- improve young people’s connections and networks in the community
Speak Up Engage Youth Engagement Team
Hear from the Speak Up Engage youth engagement team directly about being involved in the Speak Up Engage program and giving young people a voice.
The program requires participants to attend regular scheduled meetings, small group planning sessions and training days. These include:
- Meetings and planning sessions
- Corporate orientation
- Professional and personal development training
Program meetings will be held on the last Monday of each month (4:30 - 6:00 pm) at the Council Chambers in Nambour.
Participants will attend a Council Corporate Orientation on 10 May 2017 (8.30 am – 1.30 pm) and will be provided with an overview of council’s various departments and branches, their functions and role supporting the community. Following the Corporate Orientation Program participants can be matched with appropriate and available Council staff in consideration of their ‘areas of interest’ to undertake shadowing and mentoring.
Full Day Training Session 5 June 2017
- Community Leadership Skills
- Advocacy Skills
- Introduction to Social Entrepreneurship
Full Day Training Session 7 August 2017
- Powerful Impressions and Communication Skills
- Presentation Skills and Peer Facilitation Skills
- Professional Brand – Market Yourself to Employers
Full Day Training Session 9 October 2017
- Event and Project Management
- Event and Project Marketing
- Reflection on workshops delivered, key learnings, feedback etc.
Participants will be engaged in up to four Council Ordinary Meetings during the program to gain a greater understanding of Council’s role, function and decision making processes and how a resolution is made.
Participants will work with council to create a new Youth Action Plan. This project will involve consultation with other young people 12 to 25 to identify their needs and issues and capture their stories about living on the Sunshine Coast. The Action Plan will include priority actions for Council that will guide and direct Council support provided to young people.
For more information, contact council on (07) 5475 7272 or email YOUTH@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au