- Last updated:
- 10 Jul 2018
Our region has a diverse and growing multicultural population. One in every five people is born overseas, representing 156 countries, 45 faiths and 96 languages.
Our region welcomes an average of 2,700 new migrants per year.
You can read some of their stories in the Multicultural Conversations Booklet.
In addition to our multicultural residents the Sunshine Coast is also positioned to leverage the economic benefits of our global connections:
- In 2016 the Sunshine Coast experienced a 19.9% increase in international visitors with 231,000 arrivals contributing $266 million to the economy.
- The Sunshine Coast International Airport will open in 2020 with the potential to attract up to 2 million more passengers annually by 2040.
- Attracting and retaining an international, highly skilled and educated workforce supports businesses to succeed in the global marketplace and supports the development of the Sunshine Coast's Seven High-Value Industries.
- The Sunshine Coast hosts around 3000 international students with many students living in our region for 3-4 years.
- The Study Sunshine Coast campaign is looking to increase the intake of international students by 20% over the next five years.
- International students also attract family and friends to our region with research indicating that for every one student, three tourists visit.
Council works in partnership with multicultural individuals, services, community groups, and government agencies to create a welcoming and inclusive community. Our cultural diversity helps make the Sunshine Coast a great place to live.
Council’s Community Development Officer is employed to support the multicultural sector and community within the region. Our Multicultural Portfolio is focused on:
- equal and inclusive economic and social opportunities
- leadership and capacity building
- organisational development
- advocacy and education around the value of cultural diversity.
For more information, contact council's Community Development officer on (07) 5441 8385 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.