- Last updated:
- 04 Feb 2021
Healthy Sunshine Coast is a council initiative supporting the health and wellbeing of our community and the program is free to join. It offers free and low cost community activities to encourage people to be more physically active in their daily lives by attending group activities run by local fitness professionals. The program also supports the promotion of a range of activities run by sports and recreation clubs, local community groups and other organisations.
Do I need to JOIN THE MOVEMENT to participate in classes?
Who runs the classes?
Council does not run or manage the activities or the bookings. All programmed classes and activities in the program are facilitated and run by suitably insured and qualified Service Providers from outside of council. These providers may ask you to complete a separate registration and/or health check form. This is normal practice for fitness industry professionals. Please touch base with providers if you have questions about the activity or to change a booking you have made.
The program also promotes activities by third party organisations like sport and recreation clubs or community venues. These groups will have their own joining and registration processes for participants to follow. You will need to contact the organisation directly to find out what is required.
Who can attend?
The program is free to join and open to residents and visitors to the region. Attendance is on a casual basis and membership fees do not apply to Healthy Sunshine Coast activities. Some providers will offer additional services at regular or discounted prices. Unless otherwise noted in the class details, activities are for adults ie. people over 18. Some classes allow teenagers accompanied by an adult.
What do I need to do to prepare for class?
When attending classes or an event:
- Wear loose fitting clothes and sturdy, comfortable shoes
- Remember your water bottle and a mat/towel (no shared equipment)
- Stay Sunsafe at outdoor classes - wear sunscreen and a hat
- Be CovidSafe - inside venues and outdoors. Always follow Qld Health directives.
Important: Always consult your doctor or health professional prior to embarking on a new fitness or exercise program and check back with them if your health changes during your participation. Please advise instructor of any illnesses, conditions and injuries prior to the start of each class.
What else do I need to know?
- Attendance - You sign-in at each class for accurate attendance records - some classes have online booking or Apps
- Payments - Options differ between providers - all take cash 'on the day' and some offer cashless options
- New to classes? Please connect with providers as capacity limits may apply - provider have different processes
- First Class? Arrive an extra 5 minutes early to complete registration/health check form (if not completed beforehand)
- Regulars - Classes now require booking and waitlists may apply as some venues have strict capacity limits
- Attending free classes? You still need to JOIN THE MOVEMENT and follow booking instruction and sign-in on the day
- Absentees - Contact the provider if unable to attend a booked class as someone else can take your place while you're away
- Bringing a friend - Check with provider to see if a place available (Free classes have unlimited capacity but everyone needs to join)
- Bad weather? Each instructor determines if their class will go ahead - they will let people know if a class is cancelled
- Local Disaster (bushfires, flooding, storms) Council posts alerts about regional-wide event which may impact activities
Coronavirus [COVID -19] pandemic. The lead agency in Queensland is Qld Health. You will find council's dedicated page has accurate and up-to-date information on the impacts to the Sunshine Coast Local Government Area. You must adhere to any directives issued by the government.
Take the next steps?
To participate in the program and take the first step on your 2021 health journey JOIN THE MOVEMENT today!
Help is at hand!
Having trouble completing the online form? Other options to join include:
- Form to complete and return via email MS Word version
- Form to print out, complete by hand and return to us PDF version
You'll find the options for how to submit or return at the end of the form.
Using a phone or tablet? If your settings won't allow you to submit the online form, try a desktop computer or opt for one of the options above.
We're here to help you. Email us at email@example.com
Need more information before you join? Can't find the class you want? We're here to help you. Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org