- Last updated:
- 12 Sep 2016
Heart Foundation Walking is Australia’s largest network of free community-based walking groups, with volunteer walk organisers leading the walks.
Walking is an easy, low-maintenance way to boost your weekly exercise and socialise at the same time.
Council helps to coordinate over 40 free Heart Foundation walks across the Coast each week. Enjoy the beauty of the Coast while walking with a group and making new friends.
Walking for at least 30 minutes a day provides a range of health benefits including:
- maintaining healthy weight
- increased fitness and strength
- improved self-esteem and mental health.
Members receive some great benefits including:
- special offers
- regular newsletters
- incentives and prizes to help keep walkers motivated.
We are always looking for volunteer walk organisers to start new walking groups on the Coast.
The role of the Walk Organiser includes:
- determining the walking route
- determining a day and time
- welcoming new walkers
- completing a small amount of paperwork.
To find out where your nearest group is, or how you can start a new group:
- visit the Heart Foundation Walking website
- call 1300 362 787.
If you would like to talk to your Sunshine Coast Council Local Coordinator, contact the Community Development Team on 5475 7272.
Easy: slow leisurely, less strenuous walks
Medium: brisk walk, may include some hills
Various: walks of varying difficulty