- Last updated:
- 07 Aug 2020
Make play part of your day! Having time for play is as important for adults as it is for children and it’s a key way to get more joy out of your day!
“Age doesn’t make a difference in terms of how playful or fun life can be.” Brit Morin
The Genius of Play have some great family resources, here are their 10 tips for being more playful:
- Use unscheduled time to be creative, to daydream, reflect and decompress.
- Appreciate playtime – whether it’s alone or with other adults or children.
- Smile and laugh often throughout the day.
- Try new things and experience the unexpected.
- Participate in a variety of activities whenever you can to expand your horizons.
- Make mental connections (e.g. “how else can I use this,” “what else can this do?”)
- Sing and dance just for the fun of it.
- Spend time with the children in your life, observing them as they play, listening to their conversation, and following their train of thought.
- Cultivate a happy, joyful, positive attitude, full of gratitude for even the smallest, everyday things.
- Plan to make play part of your day, whether it is indoor or outdoor, solo or social, active or quiet.
Enjoy online programming for the whole family discover What's On!
If you aren’t already a member of Sunshine Coast Libraries join online to access a huge range of resources including books, magazines, movies, audiobooks and educational platforms all for free.
For help using eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, eMovies and eMusic on your device contact the eLibrary Helpdesk on (07) 5475 8989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.
Search Facebook and Instagram with #funathome for plenty of pages with fun activities for the whole family, you can also try #ideasforkids #playallday #familyactivities #learningfromhome.
- Have a meme competition with your friends and family, use a meme generator such as imgflip.
- Here are 21 fun games to play over Facetime or Skype Calls.
- 10 best guessing game apps for Android & iOS.
- 17 best dancing apps with your picture Android & iOS.
- If your friendship group thrives on silliness, then Drawful is for you. One person draws something ridiculous and others in the group submit their wild guesses.
- Place2Play - Keep on Playing, while the pandemic has imposed a pause on our live street events, our artists fully intend to Keep on Playing in the digital space with innovative responses through the lens of social distancing
- Department of Education (North Coast Region) have created Stay @ Home and Play Booklet [16MB] which is jam packed full of low cost and no cost play ideas for families to try out at home.
- Nature Play Queensland have some great ways that you and your family can use nature and play to calm anxiety, improve your wellbeing and have some fun - whether you have access to your local park, backyard or balcony! They even have some great educational pieces if you're looking at doing some learning at home.
- Take free drawing classes from famous illustrators, most are designed for kids—but also great for the young at heart.
- 202 hilarious jokes for kids have your own comedy night!
- Take a virtual field trip from your lounge room, watch animals on live cam, explore museums or travel through time and space.
- Here are some awesome fad dances to teach your kids.
- Visit the Laughter Online University get your Certificate of the Inner Child and explore 40 ideas to experience childlike playfulness as adults.
- Playgroup at Home Queensland
Facebook designed to keep families, carers and educators sharing and connecting virtually
- Baby Playgroups Sunshine Coast
Facebook page to connect families with babies new born to 12 months
- Holiday Fun from your Lounge Room
Creative Arts Alliance have complied a list of activities, events and downloadable resources for the kids
Engages 14 million kids every month with movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts
- ABC children
Features children's content from across the ABC - including ABC ME, ABC Kids, ABC Kids listen, ABC Education, Behind the News and more
Offers a huge range of resources including an entire list of free education sites, 40 virtual field trips and loads of ideas for indoor TV free activities
Discover games, reading, videos and playground
- All Kids Network
Thousands of fun kids activities like kids crafts, worksheets, colouring pages, printable mazes, dot to dot, hidden pictures and more
Become a producer
- film a news story or a cooking show
- create stop motion movies.
Get dressed up and do things differently
- have an indoor picnic, don’t forget the teddy bears
- host an international dinner night and get dressed up
- have a themed movie night
- create a glamorous family photo shoot
- have a karaoke night and get out your best rock star look
- dress ups for work conference calls.
How about some old school fun
- play board games together
- get out the deck of cards
- learn some magic tricks
- build a cubby house or inside blanket fort
- hide and seek
- hopscotch Simon says
- skipping rope
- play handball.