- Last updated:
- 24 Nov 2020
Having time for play is as important for adults as it is for children, it is a great way to create joy and have fun - make play part of your day!
“We don’t stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing.” George Bernard Shaw
The Genius of Play have great family resources, play ideas and games. Here are their top 10 reasons to play:
- Play strengthens you
- Play makes you smarter
- Play helps you solve problems
- Play boosts creativity
- Play reduces stress
- Play helps you make friends
- Play enhances attractiveness
- Play builds resilience
- Play promotes discovery
- Play is fun
Host a Christmas carol night
- Sunshine Coast Community Carols
Saturday, December 19 online via council’s YouTube and Facebook, featuring a stunning line-up of local performers including Hot Ginger Chorus, Eumundi School of Rock and the Sunshine Statesmen Men’s Barbershop Chorus.
- Carols in the Domain
Seven Network Wednesday 23rd at 7.30pm
- Online Carol Service
An online carol service where you can listen to the carols, download the words and join in!
Family fun for the festive season
- Meet Santa Claus, his reindeer and his elves on Santa Claus' official Internet TV Channel in Lapland.
- Help the kids track Santa on Christmas eve with the official NORAD app.
- Create a Christmas playlist to share, get inspiration from 100 greatest Christmas songs ever on Spotify.
- Bake Christmas goodies and give them to your neighbours, family and friends.
- Have a Christmas themed photo shoot and create a family Christmas card.
- Make a video greeting using ElfYourself or use one of the many online Christmas card makers.
- Create a Christmas meme for your social media using imgflip.
- Tour the Christmas lights using the 2020 Christmas Lights Location Map.
- Have a movie marathon night, here are the top 100 Christmas movies you can choose from.
- Create your own Christmas decorations and advent calendar.
- Enjoy your own comedy night with 202 Hilarious Jokes for Kids
- Visit the Laughter Online University and explore 40 ideasto experience childlike playfulness as adults.
- Take avirtual field trip from your lounge room, watch animals on live cam, explore museums or travel through time and space
- Libraries, archives, and other cultural institutions around the world are sharing free colouring sheets and books based on materials in their collections, print and share your favourites
Kids fun for the festive season
- GoNoodle engages 14 million kids every month with movement and mindfulness videos created by child development experts.
- ABC children features children's content from across the ABC - including ABC ME, ABC Kids, ABC Kids listen, ABC Education, Behind the News and more.
- Kidsactivites.com offers a huge range of resources including an entire list of free education sites, 40 virtual field trips and loads of ideas for indoor TV free activities.
- All Kids Network has thousands of fun kids activities like kids crafts, worksheets, colouring pages, printable mazes, dot to dot, hidden pictures and more.
- Department of Education (North Coast Region) have created Stay @ Home and Play Booklet [16MB] which is jam packed full of low cost and no cost play ideas for families to try out at home.
- Nature Play Queensland have a fantastic nature play passport that contains outdoor missions and learning activities for your children achieve, it’s fun and it’s free.
Sunshine Coast Libraries
What's On! Discover events, programs and activities for the whole family.
If you aren’t already a member of Sunshine Coast Libraries join online to access a huge range of resources including books, magazines, movies, audiobooks and educational platforms all for free.
The new myLibrary app gives you fast access to your member account, loans and reservations. It is like a digital library card in your pocket.
For help using eBooks, eAudiobooks, eMagazines, eMovies and eMusic on your device contact the eLibrary Helpdesk on (07) 5475 8989 or email firstname.lastname@example.org between 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday.