- Last updated:
- 11 Feb 2021
Being creative is beneficial throughout all stages of life. It can help to relieve stress, boost self-esteem and provide a sense of accomplishment. Simply put, it can make you more awesome! So take time to get creative, work on a project you’ve always wanted to and learn new things.
“You can’t use up creativity. The more you use the more you have.” Maya Angelou
- Free online TAFE courses
Access online skill sets and micro-credentials in food service, community care, health support, customer engagement, digital literacy and cyber security
Offers free courses from top universities such as Yale, Michigan, Stanford, and leading companies including Google and IBM
Gives you access to more than 6,000 top-quality courses for learning the latest commercial software, creative and business skills and more
- Future learn
Offer online courses to continue studying, build professional skills, and connect with experts
- TED Talks
Stir your curiosity and broaden your horizons
Is full of expert video tutorials where you can try something new, here are 60 YouTube channels that will make you smarter!
Here is a comprehensive list of free online classes where you can gain useful knowledge without having to pay for expensive instruction or courses.
Have rounded up the best events that you can join from anywhere
- Many books
Have more than 50,000 free ebooks waiting to be discovered
- What's On
Search the calendar of council events and events held at council venues.
Art and craft
- Creative Arts Alliance
Have complied a comprehensive resource list of creative programs, funding, opportunities, professional development and support in the time of COVID-19
A guide to digital arts activities and online tutorials to help you skill up, webinars and streaming services to inform and entertain, through to an array of resources designed to educate children
Here is your complete guide [57KB] to enjoying art at home, including links to:
- art contests - submit your art for cash prizes
- museums - take a virtual field trip to museums around the world
- art games - compete against yourself and others
- digital art - create art on your device
- art education - learn about art
- art at Home - art tutorials and prompts for you to create where you are.
If you are feeling crafty you will find plenty of tutorials online
Welcome to your cheat sheet for creative and unique DIY projects, mixed with daily life fixes that keep you and your family in mind. Consider your life hacked!
- Skill Share
Discover free classes on DIY crafts and creativity, watch, play, learn, make, and discover!
- Learn how to crochet
A series of tutorials to learn basic stitches that will get you on your way to making fabulous items
Learn some new cooking techniques
- BBC good food
Have a great guide to cookery skills for children by age
- Food Techniques BBC
Selection of cooking videos from beginners to advanced
- Bon Appétit video channel
The magazine’s test kitchen chefs have become cult celebrities with their offbeat-yet-gripping shows
- New York Times cooking team
YouTube channel where Melissa Clark, Alison Roman and guests such as Jamie Oliver and Queer Eye’s Antoni Porowski do baked ziti (pasta), cookies and more
DIY and home improvement
Start that home project you have been meaning to do!
Leading home improvement YouTube channels include:
- House Improvements
- FIX It Home Improvement
- Better Homes and Gardens
- Handyman Magazine
- DIY Hip Chicks
Gardening and sustainability
- Spare Harvest
A movement of like-minded people who relish and practice the value of living more sustainable
- Living Smart
Find useful life hacks to save time and money while creating a healthy living environment with your family
- Our Permaculture Life
A selection of films with Morag Gamble where you can browse over 100 permaculture how-to films, garden visits, interviews and masterclasses
- Good Life Farm
A series of helpful videos on lots of topics including no-dig gardens, hot compost, and how to get some fresh food growing fast
- Permaculture College Australia
Robyn Francis has put together a planting guide for an abundant garden, perfectly suited to our sub-tropical climate
David Holmgren co-originator of the permaculture concepts, the book is currently available for download for whatever people choose to pay
- Gardening Australia have an awesome array of fact sheets and ideas on how to nurture your garden and grow vegies. So get out there!
Learn at home education resources for home based living, including, healthy DIY food and medicine making, gardening and growing
- Kookaburra Organics Facebook Group
To help all those who are embarking to grow food simply and without spending money
- Sustainable Gardening Australia
Take the opportunity to learn how to grow your own edibles all year round.
- Marty’s Garden Show
Introducing you to four Australian native foods you can grow at home.
Sunsine Coast Libraries
- Access thousands of documentaries and movies including quality international content.
- Stream unlimited music and download five tracks per week for free.
- Read a wide range of online magazines including craft, art and home repairs, you have access to all the ideas you need to get creative.
- Learn a new language with LingoLite access phrases and vocabulary in 30 languages using images, text and video.
- Open the world up with encyclopaedias and infomation, search your ancestry, learn about antiques and collectables, discover world culture and explore national and regional cuisines and special occasion foods.
If you aren’t already a member of Sunshine Coast Libraries join online.