- Last updated:
- 09 Jul 2019
This information is a guide to help you plan your journey. It provides details of what to bring with you and what you should do to stay safe.
Travel times to Maroochydore by road:
|From Brisbane||90 minutes|
|From Gold Coast||2 hours, 30 minutes|
|From Noosa||42 minutes|
|From Caloundra||24 minutes|
|From Mapleton||37 minutes|
|From Eumundi||31 minutes|
Note: these times are estimates only and depend on traffic conditions.
Kayak and canoe hire
You can hire canoes and kayaks from the following companies:
Suncoast Kayaking Tours
Sales and Hire
Coolum Beach Qld 4573
0431 706 983
Swan Boat Hire
07 5443 7225
Swan Boat Hire
59 Bradman Avenue Maroochydore Qld 4558
- For a list of recommended items to take, print the paddler's checklist.
- Be aware of water levels and currents as tides and winds can significantly affect the difficulty of the trip.
- Always wear a properly fitted personal floatation device (PFD). Small children will need specialised sizes.
- Watch for motorboats. Paddle to the nearest shore.
- Respect anglers. Paddle away from their lines.
- Where possible, travel in pairs or groups. Groups of at least three or four people are recommended – especially for longer sections.
- Plan your journey and let someone responsible know before you go.
- In case of an emergency, bring a mobile phone in a waterproof container. There is good reception along the trail.
- Wear sunscreen, a hat, strong footwear, and clothing suitable for all seasonal weather.
- Observe signs and regulations.
- Stay in your craft while on the trail.
- Ensure your craft is in good condition and free of leaks.
- No matter how far you paddle, you may have to paddle back.
- Beware of exhaustion. Take as many breaks as you need and carry plenty of water and food.