- Last updated:
- 01 Dec 2021
Kris Stewart is a creative industries executive and artistic leader whose work has been seen through the US, Canada, Europe and Australia and New Zealand.
Kris is currently the Chief Executive Officer at QMusic, the peak body for Queensland’s music industry, delivering artistic, cultural, social and economic value to Queensland through a series of key programs, including QMusic Connect (the state wide sector development series), the Queensland Music Awards, The Billy Thorpe and Grant McLennan Fellowships and BIGSOUND, the largest music industry event in the Southern Hemisphere. QMusic is also the key music sector policy development contact point for the state and federal governments, and advocacy representative for Queensland’s music workers.
Background and experience
Kris was previously the Artistic Director of The Brisbane Powerhouse, Queensland’s home for contemporary cultural practice.
He has successfully headed a range of cultural organisations throughout his career and specialises in taking them through periods of change or growth and the launch of new initiatives.
His extensive experience in cultural production and organisational leadership includes:
- Founding guest Creative Director of Curiocity Brisbane
- Founder and Executive Director / CEO of the New York Musical Theatre Festival
- Founding Artistic Director and co-CEO of the Sydney Fringe Festival
- Founder and Director of Wonderland Festival, MELT Festival, Qld Cabaret Festival, IRL Digital Festival
- Director of Brisbane Comedy Festival and World Theatre Festival
- Organizational Producer of the Australian Performing Arts Market
- Artistic director and CEO of Festival of Voices
- Member of the Queensland Conservatorium Arts Advisory Board