- Last updated:
- 02 Feb 2021
Kris Stewart is a creative industries executive and artistic leader whose work has been seen through the US, Canada, Europe and Australia and New Zealand.
Kris is currently the Artistic Director of The Brisbane Powerhouse, Queensland’s home for contemporary cultural practice. Here, he presents over 1500 performances and stakeholder events a year, and produces such festivals as the Brisbane Comedy Festival, the Australian Performing Arts Market, World Theatre Festival, the Wonderland Festival, the Queensland Cabaret Festival, IRL festival of digital culture, Melt queer culture festival, and others.
Background and experience
Kris has successfully headed a range of cultural organisations throughout his career and specialises in taking them through periods of change or growth and the launch of new initiatives.
His extensive experience in cultural production and organisational leadership includes roles that range from his current position as Brisbane Powerhouse Artistic Director and founding guest Creative Director of Curiocity Brisbane to previous roles including:
- Founder and Executive Director / CEO of the New York Musical Theatre Festival
- Founding Artistic Director and co-CEO of the Sydney Fringe Festival
- Founder and Director of Wonderland Festival, MELT Festival, Qld Cabaret Festival, IRL Digital Festival
- Director of Brisbane Comedy Festival and World Theatre Festival
- Organizational Producer of the Australian Performing Arts Market
- Artistic director and CEO of Festival of Voices
- Board member of the Performing Arts Connections Australia, the peak body for Australian Arts Centres
- Member of the Queensland Conservatorium Arts Advisory Board
- Member of the QUT Creative Industries Advisory Board.
Assessor and judge
- Peer Assessor for the Australia Council, Australian Department for the Arts and for Arts Queensland
- On the curatorial panel for the Australian Performing Arts Market
- On the judging committees for the Macarthur Fellowship, the Victorian Premier’s Literary Prize and the Helpmann Awards.