- Last updated:
- 03 Aug 2022
Helena Gulash is a Kabi Kabi (Gubbi Gubbi) woman who brings strategic leadership experience from her extensive work in First Nations affairs, both within Government and Community.
Helena established, and is principal of, Helena Gulash Consulting, which provides Indigenous Arts and cultural management expertise. An active advocate for Indigenous community cultural development on the Sunshine Coast, Helena is passionate about the potential for the dynamic Indigenous Arts and cultural industry to stimulate positive change for First Nations peoples.
Background and experience
- Specialist knowledge of First Nations Arts and Cultures and direct experience in providing strategic leadership in Arts development as Director of the Qld Indigenous Arts Marketing & Export Agency (QIAMEA) including an Investment program for Arts infrastructure
- Artist professional development opportunities
- Marketing & promotion of Qld artists within Australian Arts industry
- Growing a dynamic, sustainable Qld Indigenous Arts industry
- Showcasing of quality Qld Indigenous Art in targeted International markets
- Building an export ‘foundation’ for Qld Indigenous Arts through partnerships with the Arts and Cultural industry within Australia and overseas.
- Early career in Indigenous Education including an executive role on the National Aboriginal Education Committee (NAEC)
- Held the position of Federal Government, Assistant Director, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander Education Queensland for several years
- Worked on key state and national initiatives across diverse fields including the Arts, Cultural, and Education sectors
- Engaged in the Kabi Kabi (Gubbi Gubbi) and broader First Nations communities
- QAGOMA Indigenous Advisory Panel
- University of the Sunshine Coast Vice Chancellor’s Arts Acquisition Advisory Committee
- Horizon Festival First Nations Advisory Group
- Independent assessor for Australia Council for the Arts.