- Last updated:
- 26 Mar 2019
Nestled in the rainforest at Maleny, Mary Cairncross Scenic Reserve is a Sunshine Coast icon and place of astounding natural beauty. A seasonal rain shower will trigger a stunning change on the rainforest floor with fungi, lichen and delicate ferns appearing on fallen logs and tree trunks.
Volunteers have the opportunity to discover this rainforest world while working with council staff to provide a welcoming and informative experience for visitors to one of Southeast Queensland’s best and most accessible sub-tropical rainforests.The Friends of Mary Cairncross Association is a charitable organisation that supports council in managing the reserve as well as providing partnership opportunities to external organisations and educational institutes.
- Rainforest education – our tour guides interact with and provide educational tours to individuals, school and community groups from around the world who are drawn to this rainforest seeking information and a sensory rainforest experience
- Community events – if you have skills in science or the arts then you may enjoy assisting in the delivery of workshop programs and community events held regularly throughout the year. These events provide an opportunity for you to encourage children and other community members to learn more about the local environment
- Visitor information – if you enjoy meeting and talking to new people then our visitor information desk is the ideal opportunity for you to do this by presenting rainforest and historical information to visitors from around the world.
Generally visitor information volunteers undertake to do at least one four hour shift per fortnight and volunteer for a minimum of 12 months
- Educational displays and activities – assistance with development and installation of environmental displays and delivery of activities in the Rainforest Discovery Centre
- Scientific research and collection – research and collection of specimens for the Rainforest Discovery Centre.
How to apply
For more information on volunteering at this reserve please contact council on (07) 5475 7272.