Lodging plumbing and building applications
  • Last updated:
  • 23 Nov 2022

Building applications

Before starting construction on most types of building work, you will need a building development approval. Also known as a building approval.

To apply for a building approval you must first contact a certifier, there are many on the Sunshine Coast. A certifier will be able to tell whether you need a building approval. Some minor building work may be accepted development or exempt building work

Certifiers must lodge a copy of all documentation to council for the:

  • building application
  • approval, and
  • final inspection.

This will keep council's property information up to date with all applications and approvals for your property.

Plumbing and drainage applications

If you are using a building certifier, check with them to see if they are lodging an application on your behalf. You can submit an application by including:

  • the applicable form
  • relevant documentation, and 
  • payment.

Building and plumbing lodgement options

Council offers several ways to lodge building and plumbing applications or documents:

  • online through MyCouncil (you will need to register to use this service)
  • by email (see details below) 
  • in person or by post.

Applicants must follow council's requirements. This will ensure the most efficient processing of their application.

Refer to lodging a development applications for details on how to submit.

File format

All files must be in PDF format, where possible:

  • created by a software program, not a scanner
  • contain one specific document or set of plans per file, not packaged together
  • unlocked with no password protection
  • unzipped.

File size

File size requirements depend on how the application or correspondence is lodged:

  • council's email mailbox will accept up to 15MB at one time
  • council's online MyCouncil services will accept up to 40MB per file.

If a document or set of plans exceeds these limits, it should be:

  • split into smaller files
  • sent as separate emails (e.g. Proposal Plans 1 of 3) or uploaded as separate attachments (for MyCouncil users).

Important: Documents for building and plumbing applications must be attached to an email. Council does not accept documents for these applications from a file sharing service.

File naming

All file names must be:

  • in 'plain English'
  • titled to reflect the type of document.

MyCouncil is council's online portal that can be used for many personal and business services. Some of the benefits of lodging plumbing applications through this service are:

  • your application is immediately created in council's property system, saving administrative processing time
  • no need to spread documents across many emails, because of size limitations.

Before you can lodge applications through this service, you will need to register for personal and business (where applicable) access.

Should you need to provide further documentation after you have lodged your application, you can provide this:

  • by email
  • in person, or
  • by post.

More information

For more information or help setting up your MyCouncil registration, refer to the following:

To lodge applications and correspondence by email, refer to the following guidelines:

  • one application per email
  • send emails to council's email mailbox
  • provide all documentation in by following the electronic file requirements outlined above
  • include the below details in the subject line:

At lodgement:

  • Application type, address, number of emails
  • Example: Plumbing and Drainage Commercial (Shop Fitout), 10 First Avenue Maroochydore, Email 1 of 2.

Post lodgement:

  • Application reference, application stage, number of emails
  • Example: PL17/0000, Response for Information Request, Email 1 of 1.
  • Applications for domestic construction submitted must include one (1) copy of all documentation
  • Applications for commercial construction submitted must include four (4) copies of all documentation.

You can lodge your plumbing or building application in person or by post.

Council requires payment of all applicable fees at the time of lodging an application.

For plumbing applications, fees are based on the number of fixtures i.e. apparatus, appliances, and devices; related to the plumbing and drainage works. Refer to the list of fixtures as a guide for fee calculation.

You can request help calculating fees for commercial applications when there are more than twenty (20) fixtures. To do this, supply:

  • hydraulic plans for review, and
  • a cover letter clearly stating that the request is for a fee estimate only and not lodgement of a plumbing and drainage application.

Once you receive a response, you can then submit an application with payment for the estimated fees. Include a copy of the fee estimate response with your application.

A list of council's fees for plumbing applications is available in the register of fees and charges.

To pay by credit card, you can complete the credit card payment authority advice form (DOCX, 951KB) and submit with your application.

Plumbing and drainage forms and templates are available from State Government's website business.qld.gov.au.

Where a building application must be referred to council for assessment as a concurrence agency in accordance with schedule 9 and 10 of the Planning Regulation 2017, complete a request for concurrence agency response (building work). Council must receive this request before a building certifier can grant approval.