Construction of vehicle crossovers
  • Last updated:
  • 29 Sep 2021

Depending on the location of your property, your crossover/driveway access may be constructed on a council-controlled road or a state/Main Roads controlled road. If you are constructing on a state road you must contact the Department of Transport and Main Roads for approval.

Conditions apply when building a vehicle crossover/driveway on council-controlled land. You must have written council approval before starting if:

  • you are constructing an industrial/commercial crossover
  • you are constructing a new non-standard crossover
  • modifying an existing crossover's profile, surface, dimensions or materials to a non-standard.

Basic maintenance such as repairing cracks or sealing the crossover area does not need council approval.

Checklist – standard or non-standard

To check if your proposed crossover is standard or non-standard complete the crossover checklist.

If you answered 'yes' to all the checklist questions, your crossover meets standard conditions.

Non-standard crossover

If you answered 'no' to any of the checklist questions you may be required to submit an operational works application through Development Services or further approval through Civil Asset Management Services. Fees apply to operational works applications.

Construction must not start until you have the final approval notice from council.

Owner's responsibility

It is the property owner's responsibility to build, maintain or alter the crossover.

This includes:

  • any associated drainage and kerbing
  • where the crossover crosses the kerb
  • any affected footpath, water course, drain or drainage easement.

Fact sheets and guidelines


For more information, contact council's customer service centre.