- Last updated:
- 29 Jun 2020
The Sunshine Coast has been recognised as one of the Top7 Intelligent Communities of 2019, sharing the global spotlight with communities from Canada, Taiwan and the United States including Chicago.
Council has already achieved many smart city milestones, including:
- winning the Leadership City award for its Smart City Implementation Program at the inaugural Australian Smart Cities Awards 2018; winning the Regional Leadership award for the Sunshine Coast solar farm; and was highly commended in the Digital City Services category for its Smart Region Management Platform which provides real-time water, lighting, parking and environmental data
- Australia's first automatic waste collection system for the Maroochydore city centre. Watch this short video about the waste collection system
- council has expanded and improved its free Wi-Fi services for the community
- the SCC app provides easy and timely access to a variety of council services for local residents and visitors (guided walks, events, around me, Disaster Hub etc.)
- Council’s Telecommunications Carrier Licence to manage its own telecommunications infrastructure
- the Smart Centre and Living Lab, opened in 2016, showcases the new technologies being trialled, such as waste bin sensors, parking space availability sensors, digital flow meters and dimmable LED lights
- in 2017, Bulcock Street Caloundra became Australia’s first smart city urban streetscape demonstration and testing facility
- being named a Smart21 Community for 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 by the worldwide Intelligent Community Forum
- council received the MAV Smart City Achievement of the Year Award for its development of a 3D visualisation tool which can actively engage with the community on complex planning and development issues
- development of the award winning Disaster Hub
- installing underground and wireless communications networks and designing smart poles for installation in Caloundra South, Maroochydore City Centre and streetscaping projects
- Baringa, Aura has been designed to showcases a range of smart technologies such as parking sensors, smart LED lights and community display information collected by sensors.