- Last updated:
- 17 Dec 2020
The digital revolution is fundamentally changing the way we live, work and connect with each other. Innovative technologies are disrupting and transforming all industries and provide opportunities to deliver social and economic benefits for our region and communities.
Council has progressively digitised many internal systems in recent years. Since the adoption of the Smart City Framework (SCF) in December 2016, council has begun to digitise external systems to build our capacity and capability as a digital region.
Council developed the SCF with Telstra and Cisco and laid the policy framework for the initial three-year Smart City Implementation Plan (SCIP). As a result, foundational infrastructure is now available in many locations, including Maroochydore City Centre, new master planned developments and streetscapes such as Caloundra, Mudjimba and Palmwoods.
In January 2021, council will conduct a community consultation project to inform stakeholders about the Smart City Program, how the program is being delivered, and its benefits to the wider Sunshine Coast community.
The consultation will also seek stakeholder feedback on council’s smart city vision and prioritise the key community benefit categories. Feedback gathered during this consultation will inform future decision making about the outcomes and actions of the Smart City Program.
Details about how you can be involved in the consultation will be available soon.
Smart city benefits
Creating a smart city has many benefits for ratepayers and the environment including:
- improved service delivery and quality of lifestyle for residents
- reducing carbon emissions, traffic congestion and energy use
- increasing safety
- attracting more investment and business, increasing employment opportunities and increasing local business competitiveness
- improved town planning and designing
- attracting and retaining investment
- increasing local business competitiveness.
For more information, you can view:
- Smart City Implementation Plan or download a printable version
- Smart City brochure which explains what a smart city is and what it means for the Sunshine Coast.
Email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact the Smart City Team on (07) 5475 7272.