- Last updated:
- 29 Nov 2019
We are committed to protecting and enhancing our region, our communities, our economy and our natural assets.
On behalf of community, Council has developed a nomination for our region to be recognised by UNESCO as an international site of excellence, known as a biosphere.
Celebrate people and nature
A biosphere is a special place. It is a place where responsible development and people living sustainably sit alongside active conservation. Just like our region.
- It's about creating a legacy for our children's future.
- It's about caring for our beautiful landscapes and stunning beaches.
- It's about leveraging economic opportunities to grow local businesses.
Becoming a biosphere would help enhance our national and international reputation and support our economy, lifestyle and environment for future generations.
The UNESCO Biosphere nomination for the Sunshine Coast has been informed by our community, diverse range of industry sectors, interest groups and government. The nomination to become a UNESCO Biosphere is an important step in the Sunshine Coast's commitment to remain future facing.
Where to from here?
- Council endorsed the Biosphere Nomination on 24 October 2019.
- The Queensland and Australian Governments will now review the nomination. If the Australian Government endorses the nomination they will submit it to the UNESCO Man in the Biosphere Programme (UNESCO MAB).
- The outcome of the nomination will be announced in June 2021.
- In parallel to the biosphere nomination assessment process, Council will continue to work with key stakeholders in preparation for implementation in June 2021. During this phase of the project, frameworks for managing a Sunshine Coast Biosphere, including governance and performance measurement will be prepared.
- It is important that you continue to be involved as the Sunshine Coast plans and prepares for becoming a biosphere in June 2021.
For more information
Learn more about the global network of UNESCO Biospheres.
For additional information, please contact council's Project team via email at email@example.com.