- Last updated:
- 28 Sep 2020
The Bokarina Beach development site is approximately 30 hectares in size and is located east of the Nicklin Way, south of Beach Drive and north of Wurley Drive, Bokarina. The site is subject to a master planning process set out within Development Control Plan 1 – Kawana Waters.
Development Control Plan 1 - Kawana Waters
Development Control Plan 1 (DCP-1) - established in 1996 - provides for Bokarina Beach to be developed for a range of tourist, residential and community uses and open space.
DCP-1 allows a maximum building height of eight stories on the site, and requires a minimum of 5.9 hectares of open space and community facilities to be provided as follows:
- village park system (2 hectares)
- public access club facilities (1 hectare)
- linear park (1.6 hectare)
- public access domain mall (5000 sqm)
- community facilities (3000 sqm)
- surf club facilities (5000 sqm).
Bokarina Beach master plans
Stockland has prepared a series of master plans for the Bokarina Beach site.
On 25 February 2016, council decided to recommend to the Department of Natural Resources and Mines that the detailed planning area plan for the site be approved subject to conditions. On 14 April 2016, the department approved the detailed planning area plan (Master Plan no.44). On 25 May 2017 council endorsed the master plan following Stockland's completion of the required amendments.
The site development plan for precincts 1-4 (291 dwelling houses and 2 duplexes) of the Bokarina Beach site was approved by council on 13 April 2017 (Master Plan no.69). The master plan was endorsed by council on 23 May 2017 following Stockland’s completion of the required amendments.
The site development plan for precinct 8 (63 dwelling units and 500m2 of retail/food outlet) was approved by council on 16 August 2018.
On 6 July 2017, council recommended to the Department of Natural Resources and Mines that the design plan application for subdivision of land within precincts 1-4 (comprising 291 residential lots) plus all of the park lots and new road reserves within the Bokarina Beach site be approved subject to conditions. The department approved the application on 14 July 2017.
The approval packages for these master plans and design plan can be viewed online:
- detailed planning area plan
- site development plan (precincts 1-4)
- design plan (precincts 1-4)
- site development plan (precinct 8).
Site development plans and design plans for all other precincts of the Bokarina Beach site still need to be submitted to council for approval.
Nicklin Way road works
The development works include an upgrade to the Nicklin Way between Wurley Drive and Beach Drive. The works include:
- two new bridges with a pedestrian and cycle path underneath, and the extension of Lake Kawana into the Bokarina Beach site
- additional south-bound lanes to increase traffic capacity
- a new signalised junction at the intersection of Nicklin Way and Lake Kawana Boulevard to provide access to the Bokarina Beach site
- an additional right-hand turn lane into Lake Kawana Boulevard to improve access to the Kawana Health Precinct
- a new north-bound dedicated bus lane through the intersection and an indented bus stop on the southbound lane just south of Beach Drive
- new dedicated bicycle lanes and an upgraded pedestrian crossing on Nicklin Way.
The works were approved by the Department of Transport and Main Roads on 1 June 2017. The work has commenced and is expected to take between 12 and 18 months to complete.
On-site development works
The operational works approval for filling and pre-load for future residential stages was issued by council on 24 October 2016 (application number OPW16/0527). A further operational works application for bulk earthworks, including the proposed lake, revetment walls, and bulk filling (application number OPW16/0722) was approved on 30 January 2017.
Various other operational works applications have been, and will continue to be submitted for various aspects of the on-site works. Recent applications include:
- OPW17/0193 - lake circulation pump station
- OPW17/0247 - civil works for stages 1, 2 and 3
- OPW17/0354 - landscaping works for stages 1, 2 and 3
- OPW17/2014 - civil works for stages 3, 4 and 5.
- OPW17/2236 - civil works for stages 6 and 7
- OPW17/2237 - civil works for stages 8 and 9
- OPW17/2244 - landscaping for Village Park West
- OPW17/2282 - landscaping for stages 3, 4 and 5
- OPW18/0055 - dune crossing - beach access
- OPW18/0186 - civil works and landscaping for wetland
- OPW18/0209 - landscaping for stages 8 and 9
- OPW18/0234 - landscaping for stages 6 and 7
- OPW18/0378 - landscaping for Village Park East.
Details of these applications are available on Development.i.
DCP-1 was open to community consultation when it was developed. More recently in November 2008, the Kawana Waters community development strategy was open to community comment.
Formal consultation is not required for the Bokarina Beach master plans.
Council also had meetings with residents throughout the assessment of the master plans to discuss issues relating to the development of the site - including issues related to traffic, parking and drainage.
Stockland and their principal contractor will keep local residents updated in relation to the ongoing site works and Nicklin Way road works.
For more information, please contact council's development services.