- Last updated:
- 27 Jul 2018
The Russell Family Park is a Sunshine Coast Council owned and operated park. This recreational park encompasses 75,000 square metres and features open space, a children’s playground, accessible toilet facilities, a pedestrian pathway network, picnic tables, shelters, electric barbecues, a performance stage, a grassed amphitheatre, a story seat, artwork and an off-street car park.
The Russell Family Park site was purchased by council in 1999 to provide a recreation space for the community and additional car parking for Montville Village. The purchase of the Russell Family Park by council was conditional upon the land being developed for public use including a carpark, toilets, botanical gardens and recreational areas.
Council developed the Russell Family Park Master Plan after extensive engagement with the community. The Master Plan has been progressively implemented since 2001.
The upgrade of the Russell Family Park Car Park forms the next stage of the Master Plan. The Master Plan specifies a formalised car park with approximately 200 bays to service the Montville Village centre and park.
The current informal gravel car park (which allows for approximately 70 cars) will be expanded and formalised to allow for approximately 125 car parking bays.
View the design for the Russell Family Park Master Plan car park.
The upgraded car park will feature:
- provision for an extra 55 vehicles and formal line-marking
- additional landscaping to screen and shade the car parking including the planting of over 3,300 trees and shrubs (comprising approximately 80 native trees, 16 native palm trees, 812 shrubs and a further 2,400 tube stock plants for revegetation purposes)
- improved access for people of all abilities
- a permeable concrete pavement surface (a specific type of pavement that allows rainwater to pass through it into the ground below)
- improved drainage and stormwater infrastructure.
Some trees must be removed to accommodate the expanded car park footprint in accordance with the outcomes of the Russell Family Park Master Plan. The majority of trees to be removed are environmental weed species including Camphor Laurels and Cadaghi.
The timber will be donated to the local Blackall Range Woodcrafters Guild at Montville to be repurposed into community art and/or for use in community projects.
Construction will take place in two stages (weather and site conditions permitting), avoiding the Easter period.
- Stage 1: 12 March - 16 March 2018 - clearing of car park area
- Gravel car park reopened between stages - currently open 16 March - 8 April 2018
- Stage 2: 9 April - early August 2018 - car park construction
Council will keep local businesses and the community informed during construction.
Changes to pedestrian access, parking and traffic conditions
Pedestrian access will remain to Russell Family Park and the public amenities building adjacent to the gravel car park.
For safety reasons the existing gravel car park must be closed during each stage of works. The gravel car park will be reopened in between construction stages.
The car park adjacent to the Clock Shop will remain open throughout the works. On street parking will remain in Montville Village.
At the request of local businesses, council is exploring alternative car parking options during Stage 2 works.
Traffic management measures will be in place to ensure the safety of pedestrians, motorists and construction workers. Signage will help to communicate information about the project to residents and visitors.
The newly expanded car park will provide an additional 55 car parking bays once completed.
Being mindful of the high demand for car parking in the area, council and its contractors will work as quickly and safely as possible to reopen the expanded car park for community use.
Further information about the car park upgrade can be found in Project News and Construction Notifications.
Where to from here
Council has been progressively developing this parkland since 2001.
The planned upgrades to the park include:
- 2017-18 car park upgrade
- 2017-18 landscape drainage work to the northern stairs
- 2018-19 major upgrade to the playground facilities including decommissioning of the norther playground
- 2019-20 landscape upgrades including tree planting, pathways and signage
Updates on the staged implementation of the master plan will be available as implementation progresses.
For more information, please contact council via email RussellFamilyPark@sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au or 1800 531 597.