- Last updated:
- 06 Dec 2019
Council is upgrading a section of Parklands Boulevard in Meridan Plains, between the IRT retirement village and approximately 100 metres west of Meridan Way.
The project is part of the Sunshine Coast Council Local Government Infrastructure Plan and plans to provide for the current and future transport needs of the Caloundra area.
The upgrade will improve safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, by helping improve traffic flow, reducing delays during peak periods and catering for future traffic volumes.
The final design features:
- four lanes of traffic (two lanes each way) along this section of Parklands Boulevard
- new dedicated cycle lanes adjacent to the traffic lanes
- new signalised pedestrian crossing points at the Sunset Drive and Meridan Way intersections
- improved pedestrian shared pathways on both sides of Parklands Boulevard
- relocation of the existing bus stops along Parklands Boulevard
- a U-turn facility at Sunset Drive
- new street lighting and landscaping
- the relocation of existing telecommunications and electrical services
You can view the final design here
To expedite the project, construction will take place from Monday to Saturday and may also include some night works. Works will continue throughout most school holidays but exclude public holidays.
Construction works have been broken into multiple, smaller areas and staged to help minimise disruption to the community and businesses and keep two-way traffic flowing throughout the construction period
- Stage 1. December 2018 – mid September 2019 (complete) Stage 1 works included earthworks, some minor road and footpath works, and major service work relocations (including the recent relocation of Energex high voltage power poles and power lines along Parklands Boulevard).
- Stage 2. Mid-September 2019 to late 2020 Major roadworks and streetscape works. Includes road widening and realignment, intersection upgrades, pedestrian improvements, streetlight and traffic signal upgrades and landscaping.
Keeping you informed
Following community feedback on the draft design the final design was determined. A community display of the preliminary design was held at Parklands Marketplace on Saturday November 3, 2018.
Council is continuing to liaise directly with residents and businesses adjacent to the construction area.
Project newsletters and construction notifications are keeping residents informed. You can view the newsletters and notifications below.
- Parklands Boulevard Upgrade project news - September 2019
- Parklands Boulevard Upgrade project newsletter 1 - October 2018[208KB]
- Construction Notification (night works) - 4 December 2019
- Construction Notification (temporary changes to pedestrian movement) - 27 November 2019
- Construction Notification (Energex Works Meridan Way) - 30 October 2019
- Construction Notification (Energex power pole installations) - August 2019
- Construction Notification (pedestrian movements Sunset Drive) - June 2019
- Construction Notification (service relocation) - May 2019
- Construction Notification (site compound) - May 2019
- Construction Notification - March 2019
- Construction Notification - February 2019
- Construction Notification (REVISED) - February 2019