- Last updated:
- 12 Feb 2019
Council is planning to upgrade a section of Parklands Boulevard in Meridan Plains, between the IRT retirement village and approximately 100 metres west of Meridan Way.
The project is part of the Sunshine Coast Council Local Government Infrastructure Plan and plans to provide for the current and future transport needs of the Caloundra area.
The upgrade will improve safety for motorists, cyclists and pedestrians, by helping improve traffic flow, reducing delays during peak periods and catering for future traffic volumes.
The work involves:
- duplicating traffic lanes in both directions along this section of Parklands Boulevard to enable four lanes of traffic (two each way)
- creating new dedicated cycle lanes adjacent to the traffic lanes
- installing signalised pedestrian crossing points at intersections with Sunset Drive and Meridan Way on all crossing legs
- improving pedestrian shared pathways on both sides of Parklands Boulevard for the length of the project.
- relocating the existing bus stops to better service the area
- providing a U-turn facility between Meridan Way and Sunset Drive
- installing new street lighting and landscaping
- relocation of existing telecommunications and electrical services.
Council thanks the community for its recent feedback on the preliminary design of the Parklands Boulevard Upgrade Project. Final design work is now in progress and is expected to be complete by March 2019. View the preliminary design
To minimise inconvenience to the community, construction will take place in two stages and occur between late 2018 and mid-2020.
- Stage 1 Works – 7 January to April 2019
Includes earthworks (mainly on the southern side of Parklands Boulevard opposite Meridan State College), service relocations and some minor road and footpath works associated with service relocations. Service relocations include power, water and telecommunications services. Should any temporary disruptions to service be expected the relevant service company (Telstra, Energex or Unitywater) will contact residents and businesses directly. View the map to see the location of Stage 1 Works here.
- Stage 2 Works – Starting September 2019 to mid-2020
Includes road widening and realignment, intersection upgrades, pedestrian improvements, street light and traffic signal upgrades and landscaping.
Where to from here
Stage 1 of construction will start in January 2019. Council will continue to keep the community informed about the project.
- Construction Notification - December 2018.
To expedite the project, construction is expected to take place from Monday to Saturday and may also include some night works. Works will continue throughout school holidays but exclude public holidays.
Keeping you informed
Council is liaising with residents and businesses directly adjacent to the construction area.
A community display of the preliminary design was held at Parklands Marketplace, 238 Parklands Boulevard (outside of Australia Post) on Saturday November 3 from 9am – 11am.
A project newsletter has been distributed to the residents surrounding the construction zone. You can view the newsletter and preliminary design below:
- Parklands Boulevard Upgrade project newsletter 1 - October 2018
- Parklands Boulevard Upgrade preliminary design