- Last updated:
- 31 Mar 2021
The Mooloolaba Foreshore is a special place that encourages active and healthy living. The revitalised foreshore will feature a wide, continuous waterfront promenade. It takes in Mooloolaba's greatest natural assets along a one-kilometre string of community, cultural, recreational and event spaces. An additional 40 per cent of public parkland will cater to a variety of activities and experiences. These include family barbecues on the lawn to hosting weddings, markets, and events.
Artists impression - Sheltered BBQ area
The Mooloolaba Foreshore Revitalisation Project is a multi-stage upgrade scheduled to take place over several years as funding becomes available.
Stage 1 - Northern Parkland (October 2020 to mid 2021)
The northern precinct of the Mooloolaba foreshore is set to be transformed, with construction of the $11 million Stage 1 Northern Parkland starting in early October 2020, weather and site conditions permitting.
When complete, the northern precinct will be transformed into a new regional public parkland that celebrates the Sunshine Coast way of life. The Mooloolaba Foreshore Revitalisation – Stage 1 Northern Parkland is expected to be completed by mid-2021, weather and site conditions permitting.
The first stage embodies our healthy, smart, creative lifestyle, with an important new coastal link boardwalk from the northern end of the Mooloolaba Foreshore to Alexandra Headland, sure to please walkers, runners and sightseers.
A viewing platform with seating will be constructed to allow users to experience the incredible sights, along with a sheltered barbecue area and a dedicated open space for the community to come together and connect with nature.
The Mooloolaba Foreshore Revitalisation Project – Stage 1 Northern Parkland is a joint initiative of Sunshine Coast Council and the Queensland Government
Council is still in the early stages of this project, but a series of prioritisation and staging principles will be considered annually, relative to funding availability to inform how works will progress.
The prioritisation and staging principles are:
- Build new before the removal of the existing
- Maximise internal/external funding sources
- Minimise multiple work fronts/disruptions with other projects
- Provide for sub-staged potential to align with available funding
- Generate community activation/usage
- Contribution to economic generators
- Existing asset life remaining
A general north to south approach is proposed, subject to annual review relative to these principles.
As part of the Placemaking Mooloolaba Master Plan process, council carried out detailed community consultation. From 2012-2015, over 3,000 participants took part in the consultation exercise. This established a clear understanding of core community values, as well as needs and aspirations.This helped to generate the vision, principles and strategies of the Placemaking Mooloolaba Master Plan. Council adopted the plan in December 2015. The Master Plan received a very high level of community support (82%).
Most recently, the project team conducted a community information session at the Mooloolaba Esplanade. Council will continue to keep the community informed throughout the project.
What to expect during construction
Construction hours for Stage 1 Northern Parkland works will primarily be 6.30am to 6.30pm, Monday to Friday. Some weekends and night works may be required. Residents and businesses will be notified in advance.
Council will make every effort to reduce impacts to the local community and businesses during construction. However, this is a major construction project and some inconvenience is to be expected.
At various times throughout the project there will be:
- changes to traffic conditions
- reduced speed limits
- temporary lane closures
- traffic and pedestrian pathway changes
- stop-go traffic control
- increased heavy vehicle movements
- construction noise
- signage and road barriers in place to help redirect motorists and pedestrians.
Measures to reduce dust will be in place.
The project team will continue to keep the community informed about construction activities, time-frames and impacts.
Project news and updates
Keep up to date on the project as it progresses:
- Construction Notification MFR April 2021
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 Temporary changes to Alex Bluff Foreshore Park
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 Boardwalk viewing platform and stairs works February 2021
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 construction update January 2021
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 construction update December 2020
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 construction update November 2020
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 Seawall upgrade November 2020
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 vegetation clearing for seawall construction October 2020
- Construction Notification MFR Stage 1 site establishment October 2020
- MFR Construction update September 2020
- Mooloolaba Place Making Master Plan
- Mooloolaba Foreshore Revitalisation Plan[2906KB]
Register to receive project updates
Council’s primary method of communicating construction information will be via email. To receive construction updates, email your name, business name (if applicable), email address and phone number to email@example.com.
We will email construction notifications to local residents and businesses who have registered for updates. We will also notify local business organisations and community groups.
Contact the project team
If you have a questions about the Mooloolaba Foreshore Revitalisation project, you can contact council, or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mooloolaba is well known for its outstanding natural beauty, relaxed lifestyle and fabulous attractions.
What inspires us?
The Mooloolaba Foreshore Revitalisation aims to embrace the natural surrounds and draws on the forms and patterns of nature as inspiration for the design intent, composition and character of public realm and foreshore enhancements into the future.
Treatments, colour schemes and finishes will reflect a distinctive Mooloolaba character that aligns with its natural, healthy and vibrant lifestyle.