- Last updated:
- 13 Jun 2019
Council is developing a design strategy for the Sunshine Coast Council area.
Development of the Sunshine Coast Design Strategy will establish the special characteristics of the Sunshine Coast:
- how these characteristics are translated into the look and feel of buildings, streets and landscapes
- how we can make sure these distinct qualities are maintained and enhanced into our future.
The strategy will:
- reflect the community’s desires and values
- influence design on the Sunshine Coast to improve liveability
- help achieve sustainable outcomes that contribute to the Sunshine Coast being Australia’s most sustainable region – healthy, smart, and creative.
The Sunshine Coast Design Strategy will help to guide council and the community to:
- protect and enhance the special qualities of the built and natural environment on the Sunshine Coast over the next 20 years
- maintain and enhance the lifestyle the Sunshine Coast is known for.
The strategy will encourage thoughtful and high quality design of public and private buildings and places. These designs will reflect the desired character of the Sunshine Coast and respond to our climate.
Through this strategy council also aims to raise awareness in our community about the value of good design and why it is important for a prosperous future.
Who is it for and what will it look like?
The Sunshine Coast Design Strategy will be a resource for council, the community, designers and the development industry to inform planning, guide decision making and inspire design that fits with the Sunshine Coast.
The strategy will be made up of 3 parts:
Part A: design vision and principles - outlining the communities values and setting the design vision and principles for the area
Part B: design guidelines – specific direction and technical detail to assist the public and the private sector to achieve the desired outcomes and standards
Part C: actions – an action and implementation plan.
Council will engage with community, including the design and development industry, to determine the design vision and desired character values for the Sunshine Coast. This will be done in two phases:
- January – February 2019 (focused on understanding community views and values to identify characteristics, to assist council in developing the draft strategy) - Now complete.
- Mid-2019 (an opportunity for the community and private sector to review the draft strategy).
Why do we need it?
The Sunshine Coast is considered a major urban and economic centre. As the Sunshine Coast continues to grow as a city-region, the changes taking place present both challenges and opportunities for our future. The design strategy is being developed to inform and shape decisions on the built environment on the Sunshine Coast over the next 20 years.
The Sunshine Coast lifestyle attracts a significant number of new residents to the region every year. This puts pressure on the distinguishing characteristics that make the area such a desirable and memorable place. Council’s Corporate Plan identifies the need for a design strategy to help guide future growth.
For more information, email email@example.com