- Last updated:
- 26 Oct 2018
Construction on the $20 million upgrade of Evans Street in Maroochydore is now complete. The project was finished ahead of schedule, in time for the 2016 Christmas school holidays.
This $20 million project duplicated Evans Street to four lanes and upgraded the intersections at:
- Maroochydore Road
- Primary School Court
- Ridge Road
- School Road
- Millwell Road.
This upgrade was part of a major road improvement scheme to:
- help improve traffic flow
- increase road safety; improve cycle and pedestrian connectivity; and allow for forecast traffic volumes
- provide a vital link upgrade from Maroochydore Blvd to Maroochydore Rd
- provide a visually attractive corridor.
View the Evans Street final draft design plan.
In February and March 2014, council sought feedback from affected residents and businesses on three draft design options.
The design options featured different intersection treatments at:
- Evans Street-Primary School Court
- Evans Street-Ridge Road
- Evans Street-School Road
- Evans Street-Millwell Road
After initial feedback from the community, the following final design has been selected:
Additional feedback was received in May 2014 regarding the access constraints around the intersection of Primary School Court East. Subsequently, council has worked with the affected members of the community to provide an acceptable solution to the original access constraints. The solution agreed upon by the projects civil design team was the inclusion of a signalised u-turn facility that will allow passenger and light commercial vehicles travelling northbound to perform a u-turn to the Maroochydore Road intersection and access Primary School Court.
The need to upgrade Evans Street and Plaza Parade through the Maroochydore CBD was identified by the former Maroochy Shire Council in 1993/1994. The route is now identified in the Maroochy Plan 2000 and in the Draft Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme as an essential part of the Maroochydore road network.
The Maroochy Plan 2000 and the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme note that residential density in this area is expected to increase as the Maroochydore City Centre grows.
- Community Update December 2016
- Community Update March/April 2016
- Community Update December 2015
- Community Update November 2015
- Community Update August 2015
- Community Update July 2015
- Community Update April 2015
- Project News December 2014
- Project News May 2014
- Project News February 2014
- Project News December 2013
- Project News October 2013
For more information, please contact the project team on 1800 423 411 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.