- Friday 17 July 2015
Sixteen Sunshine Coast Art Prize New Media artworks have been selected to be showcased at the inaugural Maroochy Music and Visual Arts Festival on August 22.
Community Programs Portfolio Councillor Jenny McKay said to celebrate the 10th Anniversary of the Sunshine Coast Art Prize Council is partnering with visual art awards across the Sunshine Coast to present a region-wide celebration of visual art.
“The collaboration between Council and the arts industry on the Coast is extremely inspiring with combined prizes valued at over $125,000 across a variety of mediums both traditional and contemporary,” Cr McKay said.
“The good news is the community will benefit from an exciting region-wide celebration of visual arts of the greatest quality and diversity from August through to December.
“One of those events is the Maroochy Music and Visual Arts Festival on Saturday, August 22 which will see 16 exceptional New Media finalist artworks including digital photography, video, animation and projection on display for all the community to enjoy.”
Maroochy Music and Visual Arts Festival director James Birrell said the calibre of the New Media finalists’ artwork is exceptionally high and of a national standard.
“We are very excited about working with the Sunshine Coast Council to showcase this work at the festival,” Mr Birrell said.
The winner of the 2015 Sunshine Coast Art Prize New Media category will receive a $10,000 cash prize. A Highly Commended award sponsored by the University of the Sunshine Coast Gallery, which includes a $1250 prize, and a $250 People’s Choice Award, are also up for grabs in the New Media category.
A special preview of selected New Media finalists will also be shown at the University of the Sunshine Coast from October 6 to 8.
The 27 finalist artworks of the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2015 New Media award will go on exhibition at the Maroochy Arts & Ecology Centre from October 10 to November 1.
The New Media Art Prize is one of numerous awards and categories within the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 10th anniversary celebration, with more than $125,000 in prizes available for winning artists.
New Media finalists’ artworks on display at the Maroochy Music and Visual Arts Festival:
- Andy Bates (Sinnamon Park, Queensland)
- Anastasia Booth (Alderley, Queensland)
- Sheena Colquhoun (Coburg, Victoria)
- Chris Denaro (Cornubia, Queensland)
- Alinta Krauth (Witheren, Queensland)
- Kim Lehman (Launceston, Tasmania)
- Linda Loh (Brunswick East, Victoria)
- Matto Lucas (Yarraville, Victoria)
- Daniel McKewen (Wavell Heights, Queensland)
- Aaron Moore (Cronulla, New South Wales)
- Tom Parsons (Moorabbin, Victoria)
- Sonia Payes (Prahran, Victoria)
- Luka Raubenheimer and Jake Vincent (Peregian Beach, Queensland)
- Claire-Anna Watson (Brunswick, Victoria)
- Margaret Worth (Victor Harbour, South Australia).
- Andrew Zylstra (Caloundra West, Queensland).
Make sure you join the conversation by following Sunshine Coast Council on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Don’t forget to use the hashtags #sunshinecoastcouncil #sunshinecoastartprize and #caloundragallery.