- Friday 03 April 2020
To help keep our community informed, inspired and entertained during the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic, Sunshine Coast Council has launched a new series of online programs and videos thanks to Caloundra Regional Gallery, Horizon Festival, Cultural Heritage, Living Smart and Sunshine Coast Libraries.
The Stay Connect Create program features a variety of workshops, kids’ art activities, early literacy, rhyming, science activities, virtual tours, historical stories and more.
Sunshine Coast Council Mayor and Local Disaster Management Group Chair Mark Jamieson said our greatest tool for stopping the spread of COVID-19 was to stay at home, so by moving content online, our community will have opportunities to keep occupied and engaged during these challenging times.
“Although our libraries, historical and community venues and Caloundra Regional Gallery are closed, we can still use technology to continue to celebrate, educate, share, chat and connect,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“So to all our communities - our artists, our families, our young people and our older residents, remember let’s keep sharing and connecting together.”
Here’s a taste of what’s on offer:
- Caloundra Regional Gallery is online with workshops, behind-the-scenes, professional development sessions, artist profiles and more - including the gallery’s Kids Art Attack program: presented by artist and educator, Melinda Saunders from A Little Creative. The activities have been created to use simple resources that are usually found within the home from basic ingredients from the pantry as well as many common recyclable and craft items.
- Digital Detectives (for the kids) – thanks to Sunshine Coast Libraries, discover your super sleuthing skills with Digital Detectives over the school break.
- For the adults – Libraries can help you to discover something new or learn a new skill including learning French and inspecting the Louvre or delving into true crime, crafts or gardening.
- Visit the website each week where Libraries will list 10 of the best things you can do that week including rhymes and stories at home, challenges, creating a scavenger hunt and more.
- Horizon Festival has curated a list of the most interesting and inspiring local, national and global stories, projects and arts experiences for you to enjoy from the comfort of your couch.
- Heritage stories and activities: Delve into cultural heritage on the Sunshine Coast as you view a series of on-line exhibitions, stream documentaries and get the family involved with colouring-in historic scenes.
- For the green thumbs: There's a how-to, entry-level edible you can grow at home - Microgreens!
More programs will be added as they become available so make sure you visit the site regularly.
Council’s website also has information about other council facilities and services during this time. The website is updated as changes are made to council’s service delivery due to COVID-19.