- Tuesday 20 October 2015
The Sunshine Coast recorded almost $400 million in estimated construction values for building applications in the July to September quarter, a $100 million increase on the previous three months and a 17% increase on the same period last year.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the continuing growth across the region was encouraging and a great indicator of the health of our local economy.
“With building approvals in excess of $1 billion for the third consecutive financial year, ongoing development on the coast will attract investment opportunities and employment, ensuring a positive future for our region,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“The redevelopment of Maroochydore City Centre started this quarter with the first precinct plans and the application to reconfigure a lot for Stage 1 of the development lodged for assessment by Economic Development Queensland (EDQ).
“Plans for other precincts within the priority development area have also been lodged with EDQ.
“This heralds the start of a project that will be transformational for Maroochydore and the broader region.
“Within the Kawana Health precinct area, construction of the Vertical Aged Care Facility will commence soon and Birtinya Boulevard is nearing completion.
“Work continues on an eight-storey car parking facility with ground floor commercial areas, a 90-place child care facility, a public village park, and on the Pulse building and Best Western Hotel opposite the Sunshine Coast University Hospital.
“Applications to build over 390 dwelling lots in Kawana have been approved, as well as master plan applications for Birtinya Island.
“Construction has continued on the display village at Birtinya Island and parts of the display village, including the sales office and café, are now open to the public.
“Hinterland communities will also see progress.
“The development of 49 lots in Yandina was lodged this quarter, the development of 49 multiple dwelling units in Nambour was approved, and an application to redevelop 218 units for a Nambour aged care facility was lodged.
“Woombye Retirement Village will receive $7 million of additions and an application to build a shopping centre in Beerwah was also approved.”
Council has released two development maps: the Building Approvals Heat Map illustrating the volume and locations of building activity between 2012 and 2015, and the Significant Developments Map highlighting the major development applications and approvals for the 12-month period leading up to September 2015.
The development maps illustrate high levels of activity within the ‘Sunshine Coast Enterprise Corridor’ where commercial and residential growth is anticipated to occur over the next 20 years.
The corridor stretches from the Airport to Caloundra and is likely to accommodate approximately 70% of the region’s projected population growth and a substantial level of new business investment in the region’s high value industries.”
SIGNIFICANT DEVELOPMENT APPLICATIONS – July to September 2015:
Material Change of Use
- 218 Units Aged Care Facility Re-development at Carter Road, Nambour – Covey MCU15/0184
& Associates (Lodged)
- 175 Multiple Dwelling Units at Parklands Boulevard, Little Mountain – Yitong Investments P/L (Approved) MCU15/0042
- 159 Multiple Dwelling Units, Short Term Accommodation, Shopping Centre & Function Facility – 13 Storey Building at River Esplanade, Mooloolaba - ARIA Property Group (Lodged) MCU15/0138
- 145 Bed Aged Care Facility at Riveraine Avenue, Warana – Tricare P/L (Lodged) MCU15/0186
- 54 bed extension to Residential Care Facility at Magenta Drive, Coolum – NG Sanders & Associates (Lodged) MCU15/0189
- 49 Multiple Dwelling Units at Fairmeadow Road, Nambour – Image Projects Group (Approved) MCU14/0144
- 48 Multiple Dwelling Units at Peachester Road, Beerwah – 1770 Beach P/L (Lodged) MCU15/0132
- 44 Detached Dwelling Houses & 408m2 Shops at David Low Way, Coolum Beach – KHA Developments (Lodged) MCU15/0207
- 34 Multiple Dwelling Units at David Low Way, Coolum Beach – Coolum Terrace Holdings P/L (Decided) MCU14/0202
- 30 Unit 8 Storey Building at Picnic Point Esplanade, Maroochydore – Walter Iezzi Development Group (Lodged) MCU15/0164
- 24 Unit 9 Storey Building at Brisbane Road, Mooloolaba – Arrowroot P/L (Lodged) MCU15/0173
- 10 Multiple Dwelling Units, Offices & Food and Drink Outlet at Main Street Buderim – Collyns Homes NZ P/L (Approved) MCU14/0196
- Tourist Park at David Low Way, Diddillibah – Ocean Isles P/L (Approved) MCU14/0174
- Shopping Centre, Hotel & Offices at Bli Bli Road, Bli Bli – Bli Bli Village Centre P/L (Lodged) MCU15/0168
- Shopping Centre at Jones Road, Buderim – Harvest Management Services P/L (Lodged) MCU15/0192
- Aldi Supermarket at Sunrise Drive, Maroochydore – Aldi Stores (Lodged) MCU15/0196
- Crematorium at Wises Road, Maroochydore – Gregson & Weight (Lodged) MCU15/0203
Reconfiguring of a Lot
- 94 lots at Parklakes Stage 2 Estate at Yandina-Bli Bli Road, Bli Bli – Covey & Associates (Lodged) REC15/0159
- 49 Lots at Steggalls Road, Yandina – Tiprush P/L (Lodged) REC15/0127
- 44 Lots at David Low Way, Coolum – KHA Development (Lodged) REC15/0175
- 37 Lots at Parklands Boulevard, Meridan Plains – Creekwood Developments P/L (Approved) REC15/0071
- 34 lots at Taintons Road, Woombye – Aspect Northview P/L (Lodged) REC15/0147
Building Private Certification (Building Approvals)
- $19.2 million 13 storey Motel at Meta Street, Mooloolaba PC15/4888
- $12.5 million 74 Residential Apartments at Fiji Court, Parrearra PC14/0744
- $11.2 million 64 Multiple Residential Units at Sippy Downs Drive, Sippy Downs PC15/1161
- $9.8 million 50 Units at Stringybark Road, Buderim PC15/4851
- $4.3 million Maroochydore RSL alterations at George Street, Maroochydore PC15/5197
- $3.9 million 21 Units at Tanah Street west, Mount Coolum PC15/4066
- $3.5 million Chapel at Wises Road, Buderim PC15/3878 -
Quarterly Development Indicator reports up to September 30, 2015 are available on Council’s website at www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au.