Do I need a permit to complete plumbing work?
  • Thursday 10 March 2016

Much of the plumbing and drainage work at existing residential homes is categorised as Notifiable Work.  This must be performed by a plumber or drainer licensed by the Queensland Building and Construction Commission (QBCC), but does not require permits or mandatory inspections by local government.

Notifiable work includes kitchen and bathroom renovations, installation or replacement of water heaters, toilets, showers and sinks, and the alteration of pipe work. It does not include changes to onsite treatment facilities, combine drains, greywater facilities, or areas with dual reticulated water supply.

When the work is completed, the plumber submits a Form 4 to QBCC, and provides a copy to the property owner. To check if your form has been lodged visit the QBCC website.

The Notifiable Work system makes it cheaper and quicker to complete most routine plumbing work. QBCC and local governments have the power to audit Notifiable Work.

Don’t forget to always check that your plumber is licensed with the QBCC. If you believe the plumbing and drainage work done on your property is non-compliant or defective, you can lodge a complaint with QBCC on 139 333 or