- Tuesday 01 September 2015
If you know a person, community group or organisation making a difference to life on the Coast, nominate them now for the 2016 Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards.
The awards were launched at Alexandra Headland today. http://youtu.be/5Hhi_wbxA78
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards were an opportunity to publicly recognise and honour the achievements of locals who have made an outstanding contribution to the region.
“There is no doubt we have heroes in our midst making a difference to life on our Sunshine Coast. So it is important that we not only celebrate their contribution on Australia Day but also publicly acknowledge them via a formal, highly respected, awards program,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“This year we are delighted to welcome seven category sponsors for the Awards.
“On behalf of Council I extend my personal thanks to the Sunshine Coast Daily, Seven Local News, University of the Sunshine Coast, Sunshine Coast Sports Federation, Maroochy RSL, Living Smart and TAFE Queensland East Coast.”
Nominations are sought for the following categories:
• Citizen of the Year sponsored by Seven Local News
• Young Citizen of the Year sponsored by University of the Sunshine Coast
• Senior Citizen of the Year sponsored by Maroochy RSL
• Community -Group or Organisation sponsored by Sunshine Coast Daily
• Creative sponsored by TAFE Queensland East Coast
• Environment sponsored by Living Smart
• Sport and Recreation sponsored by Sunshine Coast Sports Federation.
Nominations close Friday, December 11, 2015. Entries can be completed online via Council’s website or an entry kit can be picked up from Council's Customer Service Centres and library branches.
The eighth annual Sunshine Coast Australia Day Awards will be announced on Monday, January 25, 2016. The event will include performances by local musicians, special guest speakers and the presentation of awards by the Mayor.