- Thursday 13 September 2018
A plan that outlines future park and playground improvements for Sippy Downs, including a new major, district level playing space, was endorsed by council today following an extensive community consultation process to identify residents’ priorities.
Council will now start to implement the Sippy Downs Parks Master Plan over the coming months, with design starting on a new district park and upgrades getting underway on local park improvements.
Upgrades already funded and scheduled for the next two years include:
- Major upgrades to Eaton Park, including multi-purpose basketball half-court and sports goals, barbecue replacements, kick and throw turf improvements, car parking and landscaping, playground drainage improvements and park signs.
- Design of a district play and recreation area at Albany Street. Council will undertake further consultation specific to this park design.
- Improvements at Windmill Park including replacing barbecues and a shelter, and upgrading the basketball half court.
- Footpath connections linking Albany Street and Fitzwilliam Drive.
Division 6 Councillor Christian Dickson said the Sunshine Coast Council plan identified opportunities and priorities for future upgrades.
“This plan has been developed based on what our community want to see in Sippy Downs,” Cr Dickson said.
“Our residents helped us understand park use, key issues and demand for park activities so I’m excited to be presenting a plan that incorporates their ideas and priorities.
“The main feedback from residents was that they wanted to see newer and more user-friendly parks in the Sippy Downs area and they often travel to other communities to use play spaces.
“Over the years we have completed smaller upgrades in the existing local parks by adding shade sails and new play equipment.
“The Sippy Downs Parks Master Plan now focuses on the need to construct new district level park facilities and larger play spaces.
“This is a long-term plan with easy short-term outcomes that will really make a difference for our community, particularly in terms of safety and easy access.”
The plan provides the basis to seek funding for development and renewal of park infrastructure at Sippy Downs, in addition to the initial upgrades already scheduled for this year.
It will be delivered in stages and implementation will be dependent on future funding.
Top priorities for Sippy Downs parks
- Deliver a major district level play space with shelters, picnic and barbecue facilities for group gatherings similar to the Buderim Village Park.
- New park sporting recreation facilities such as basketball and netball courts, and combination soccer and rugby posts.
- Additions to existing parks including trees and shaded spaces for children to play, pathways, lighting, parking, drink fountains and toilets.