- Monday 03 July 2017
The Mooloolaba foreshore area will move into its next phase with Sunshine Coast Council unveiling plans for a revitalised Mooloolaba foreshore and Esplanade precinct, part of the Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan.
More than 6200sq m of Mooloolaba foreshore parkland will eventually return to community use with a kiosk, an outdoor gym, a new amenities building, shaded picnic and barbecue facilities, a modern adventure playground and spacious grassy areas just some of the features we have to look forward to.
Initially the former northern Mooloolaba caravan park site will be used as a temporary car park to provide alternative parking options while the Brisbane Road development is underway.
Once completed, the Brisbane Road car park will free up the foreshore area for community use. These new community foreshore spaces will open in 2019, subject to State Government approval.
Division 4 Councillor John Connolly said the designs reflected a vibrant foreshore parkland area.
“This is another step forward in our plan to turn Mooloolaba into a world class beach destination,” Cr Connolly said.
“Designs for the foreshore improvements reflect a high quality beachfront public area that includes new features and open parkland, as well as a refurbished Loo with a View structure.
“The natural aspects of Mooloolaba we all know and love will be retained and we will increase beachfront public parkland.
“This will allow us to create better public spaces, including 40% more public parkland, 2.4km of enhanced waterfront pathways and improved spaces for sporting and entertainment events.
“We are returning the foreshore to the community, rather than confining it to the limited number of people – many from outside our region – who hired caravan park sites.
“Our whole community will eventually gain access to, and benefit from, this beautiful part of our coastline.
“And while the site is being used as a temporary car park, our community will enjoy access to the beach via a connecting pedestrian walkway which was not possible when the site was a caravan park.
“Our vision for Mooloolaba is to create a healthy, active place that allows our community to immerse themselves in, on and under the water.
“The design focuses on creating a space for active lifestyles include bikeways, pathways, fitness equipment and expansive lawn areas.
“Public art will also be a feature in play areas, etched pathways and furniture, and an entry statement.”
Concept designs for the foreshore revitalisation are available for the community to view on council’s website.
About the Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan
- The master plan brings together four key precincts to revitalise the iconic area – the Foreshore and Esplanade, the Mooloolaba Heart, the Wharf and the Southern Gateway. It includes short, medium and long-term improvements for the area.
- It retains the natural aspects of Mooloolaba and increases beachfront public parkland and will help council create better public spaces, including 40% more public parkland, 2.4km of enhanced waterfront pathways, improved spaces for sporting and entertainment events.
- The Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan is available to view on council’s website.
- Council has previously received multiple awards for its Place Making approach and the way in which it engages with the community to deliver quality plans and infrastructure for our region.
- During consultation, more than 70% of people supported relocation of the northern caravan park sites to allow for a world class oceanfront walk to Alexandra Headland and more than 60% asked for more car parking.
*Indicative artist impression, intended to communicate conceptual ideas only.