- Friday 19 December 2008
WHAT: Mooloolaba New Year’s Eve on the Esplanade
WHEN: Wednesday 31 December 2008
WHERE: The Esplanade, Mooloolaba
Mooloolaba is the place to be on the 31 December when Sunshine Coast Council in partnership with Stockland present New Year’s Eve on the Esplanade – a family-friendly, alcohol, glass and drug free event.
The celebrations take place in a safe, patrolled and fenced event zone with music, entertainment, roving performers, buskers and food stalls. The line up of entertainment includes:
- Two magnificent fireworks displays* at 8pm and midnight.
- Family entertainment on stage from 5.30pm – 8pm
- Humphrey B Bear, the famous bear himself
- Ian Ross Williams, local children’s entertainer
- Local singer song writer, Sue-Anne
- Paul Greene, Sydney based song writer and performer
And the party really gets started from 8.00pm until midnight with performances by:
- Even Break, local hip hop artists
- Black Water Fever, local swamp rock duo
- Wild Marmalade, organic high energy dig and drum duo
- OKA, local world, roots, dub, reggae duo
- Roving entertainment
- Fire twirling demonstrations on the beach
- New ‘Buskers Place’ located next to the Loo with A View from 5pm until midnight
Extra bus services will operate between Noosa and Caloundra, to and from the event from 6:30pm. Please be aware that intoxicated persons or the carrying of alcohol will not be permitted onboard event buses operated by Sunbus.
For safety, a number of road closures will take place around the vicinity of the event site, including Beach Terrace, The Esplanade and sections of Brisbane Road. Road closure times differ and are minimised to limit disruption to motorists, however residents and visitors should expect altered conditions. All road closures will be reopened on 1 January 2009 by 5am. For details visit council’s website www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au.
Total parking restrictions will apply to Walan Street and Brisbane Road (between The Esplanade and Tuckers Creek Bridge) from 2pm on 31 December 2008 until 3am, 1 January 2009. These areas will be strictly no parking, and tow away conditions will apply.
The event is sponsored by Sea FM, Southern Cross Ten, Sunshine Coast Daily, Colourscan and Diverse Design.
Council would like to thank the organisations supporting this event; Qld Police, Queensland Transport, Translink, Sunbus, Qld Fire & Rescue Service, Qld Ambulance, SES, Street Angels, St John Ambulance and Mooloolaba Business & Tourism.
* Please note earlier fireworks display time of 8pm. Fireworks have an unsettling effect on some pets. Pet owners should take precautions to secure pets for the duration of the fireworks.