- Monday 26 October 2015
The Sunshine Coast is forecast to have the second fastest population growth rate of all sub-state regions through to 2036.
To cater for this growth, council is partnering with industry to shape a future where good planning supports our vision to be Australia’s most sustainable region – vibrant, green, diverse.
The growing level of confidence in our region is being fuelled by a clear and innovative plan for the region’s economy and significant public and private investments. In the September quarter, we saw a $100 million increase in building approvals on the previous three months and a 17% increase on the same period last year.
Helping to position the region as a leading economic and urban centre in Australia, the steady and consistent growth of development across is helping shape a positive future for the Sunshine Coast, including more job opportunities in our seven identified high-value industries.
- Palmview will have 8000 dwellings and Caloundra South, now known as Aura, will have 20,000 dwellings. Together they will provide homes to more than 65,000 people and bring with them significant employment opportunities.
- Sunshine Coast Public University Hospital is the first new non-replacement hospital in Australia in more than 25 years. The hospital and adjacent health precinct will employ approximately 6000 people by 2021.
- Our new city centre in Maroochydore is a 53 hectare site, currently the only green field CBD in Australia, and the staged roll out will attract investment and generate up to 10,000 jobs over the project’s 20-year life span.
- We are working towards securing the delivery by the private sector of an international broadband submarine cable to the Sunshine Coast, making our region the closest digital connection point in Australia to the leading markets of Asia and the United States,
- A light rail system is proposed to link major growth areas, and we are planning a major expansion of the Sunshine Coast Airport connecting the Sunshine Coast directly to key international markets.
Sunshine Coast Council remains committed to delivering good development outcomes and partnering with industry for the success of the region. To aid this process we have created the Development Information Site Report, an award-winning tool that provides easy access to site specific town planning information and maps. Pre-lodgement meetings continue to be offered free of charge and we have provided a FastTrack assessment process with a 10-day turnaround time.
With this level of investment we can confidently say the Sunshine Coast - the future is here.