- Saturday 05 June 2010
The Maleny Community Precinct Master Plan is complete, with the final plan being presented to the council for consideration at the General Meeting on Monday 7 June 2010.
Sunshine Coast Community Policy and Programs portfolio holder and division five councillor Jenny McKay said that the Maleny Community Precinct will be a place for the whole community to enjoy.
“Council and the stakeholder advisory group have worked very closely together for the past year to create this plan,” Cr McKay said.
“It will take strong partnerships with the community, and all levels of government to bring the plan to fruition.
“The Maleny people are passionate about Maleny, their community and the environment—so it’s fantastic that we were able to bring together all those passions to develop a precinct we can be proud of.”
Council’s Project Director, Partnerships and Engagement, Alan Rogers said that the Maleny Community Precinct Master Plan will guide the future development of the site over the next 25 years.
“The vision is to create a precinct that provides recreational, sporting, cultural, educational and ecological experiences for all, whilst preserving and rehabilitating the significant regional environmental and historical areas of the site,” Mr Rogers said.
“The lack of flat land, access to the site, and environmental concerns have placed constraints on the final master plan and meant there were challenges along the way, but the consultants worked very hard to come up with the best result.”
Sunshine Coast Community Policy and Programs portfolio holder and division five councillor Jenny McKay said the next stage is for the plan to be presented to the full council for their consideration.
“If the plan is adopted, council will then consider the options available to move forward.
“I want to congratulate council, the stakeholders and the consultants on a job well done, and thank the community for their patience over the past few years.”
The master plan will be considered by the full council at the General Meeting of Monday 7 June 2010.
The Maleny Community Precinct Master Plan includes:
- The conservation of the heritage listed Pattemore House.
- A quality 18-hole golf course with a putting practice area and future shared club house / function centre.
- Three to four full size sports fields and a multi-purpose sports amenity building.
- An aquatic centre with 8 lanes by 25 metre pool, hydrotherapy pool, learn to swim pool and toddler pool, with an amenity building including a 250sqm gym.
- Community facility land
- A large ecological style parkland (notionally called Obi Obi Park) incorporating rehabilitated wetlands, viewing areas, sculpture trail, children’s play area, picnicking facilities and walking trails.
- Three residential areas incorporating approximately 4 x 1900sqm lots, 39 x 600– 800sqm lots and 6 x 525sqm lots—providing a range of product including some affordable living options in the form of the smaller size lots.
- An attractive tree lined boulevard style road access from Porter’s Lane, with future link to Landsborough-Maleny Road.
- The protection of significant environmental areas (such as the Southern Wetland indicated on the Regional Ecosystem mapping as ‘of concern’).
- The substantial riparian rehabilitation along the Obi Obi Creek corridor that provides key habitat core areas that will contribute greatly to increased biodiversity of the region.
- A widespread network of pedestrian and cycle trails, noting in particular the link from Maleny Township to Gardener’s Falls. Provision for a future horse trail from North Maleny Road to Obi Obi Creek to link with future Obi Obi Creek bridge crossing.