- Friday 24 February 2017
Sunshine Coast Lightning has unveiled the club’s official mascot “Lucy Lightning” ahead of the first Suncorp Super Netball match at USC Sports Stadium on Sunday.
Inspired by the region’s active and healthy lifestyle, Lucy is a fit and energetic netball fanatic whose confident and outgoing demeanour will endear her to all of Lightning’s loyal supporters.
Lightning community and fan engagement manager Georgia Galton said fan feedback was instrumental in creating the look and feel of the integral team member.
HOT 91.1 and the Lightning received a raft of suggestions for the foundation club’s mascot. The final design was a combination of the community’s great ideas.
“The drawings, sketches, artwork and ideas were exceptional. It’s encouraging to see so many passionate fans showing interest in the club,” Ms Galton said.
“Lucy will have a lot of fun at our home matches and will hopefully lift the spirits of Lightning athletes and those cheering them on.
"Her custom-made boots, dress, gloves and glasses are state of the art and perfect to perform her duties at an elite level like the Lightning players."
Suncorp Super Netball Round 2
Sunshine Coast Lightning v Melbourne Vixens
Sunday 26 February 12:10pm
University of Sunshine Coast, Sippy Downs
Broadcast: Live on Telstra TV, Netball Live App
- Lightning will host their inaugural home game at the University of Sunshine Coast. They are the region’s first professional sporting team.
- Lightning shooter Caitlin Bassett scored the most goals in Round 1, with 48 goals from 51 attempts at 94% accuracy.
- Vixens shooter Mwai Kumwenda was the most second-most accurate in Round 1, with 29 goals from 30 attempts at 97% accuracy.
- Tegan Philip marked her return to elite netball with an MVP performance, after suffering an ACL rupture during the 2016 pre-season, which saw her miss the 2016 season.
- The Vixens opted to keep their starting line-up for a full four quarters in the opening round.
- Two Lightning players made their national league debut in Round 1, Madeline McAuliffe and Cara Koenen.