- Tuesday 31 March 2009
Council invites the local community to help name the new road that links the Sunshine Coast motorway to the Sunshine Coast Airport.
Local Division 8 Councillor Debbie Blumel said this is an exciting opportunity for the community to adopt this high profile road as their own.
“Council values the considerable insights that our local community can provide, which is why we are asking local people for suggestions,” said Cr Blumel.
“I encourage everyone to put their suggestions forward. As the road is almost ready for opening, we only have a few weeks left to decide on a name – so don’t delay.”
People have until Monday 13 April to forward their suggestions to Council.
A council panel will review all suggestions.
“The new road name will be announced on Monday 20 April,” Cr Blumel said.
“The person whose suggestion is selected will be presented with a certificate of appreciation and will be invited to attend the official state government opening of the road as council’s guest.”
Suggestions need to meet the following criteria:
- Names must be easy to spell and pronounce.
- To help preserve the region’s heritage, council favours road names with local historical significance.
- The applicant must provide a brief background of the origin of the name/s in their submission.
- Duplication of existing road names is not possible.
- The Property Addressing Officer will consult with the divisional councillor on all new road name applications and obtain their endorsement before council approves the name.
Forms should be completed and returned to council by Monday 13 April 2009. Submission forms are available at www.sunshinecoast.qld.gov.au and through council’s customer service centres.
The Sunshine Coast motorway and interchange upgrade is part of the Queensland Government’s Department of Main Roads South East Queensland Infrastructure Plan and Program.