- Thursday 25 April 2013
Sunshine Coast Council is reviewing the local laws adopted in December 2011 and residents are invited to have their say on the proposed amendments.
The community can provide feedback on the proposed minor changes to local laws relating to keeping of animals, temporary advertising devices and nuisance provisions. Submissions can be made via council’s website or customer contact centres between Wednesday 1 and Friday 31 May.
Corporate Planning Portfolio Councillor Christian Dickson said council was committed to having a fair and functional suite of local laws to effectively and efficiently govern the many diverse Sunshine Coast communities, and it was important for local residents to be able to provide input.
“At today’s Ordinary Meeting council agreed on some proposed minor changes to the Local Laws and Subordinate Local Laws that were adopted in December 2011,” Cr Dickson said.
“This followed a commitment made at that time for a review to be undertaken to identify any operational issues or concerns and to investigate any legislative changes impacting on the local laws.
“Following a series of workshops, information sessions, individual stakeholder meetings and a rigorous decision making process, several minor amendments are proposed to the local laws in addition to the drafting of a new Schedule 8 (Placement of Movable Advertising Devices) under Subordinate Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2011.
“The community now have an opportunity to have their say on the proposed changes throughout the month of May.”
A resolution also noted that no changes would be made to the former Noosa Shire region with regard to advertising devices.
Council endorsed the following proposed local law changes for community consultation:
Summary of the proposed local law amendments (refer council’s website for full details of proposed changes)
Local Law No. 1 – Schedule 8 (Placement of Movable Advertising Devices)
• Replacement of current Schedule 8 (Installation of Advertising Devices) of Subordinate Local Law No. 1 (Administration) 2011 with a new schedule that rectifies operational issues and concerns.
Local Law No. 2 - Animal Management
• Leash length (3m) not working
• Animal Enclosures (needs to be more prescriptive)
• Need to address "nuisance" laws where animals are continually causing nuisance
• Minimum Standards- new species “Domestic Cat or Dog”
• Rooster, pheasant and peacock (less restrictive)
Local Law No. 3 - Community Health and Environmental Management
• Definition of works requires amendment to allow council to act on complaints concerning water spilling onto other properties as a result of a person’s failure to keep property maintained therefore allowing water to escape naturally
Local Law No. 4 - Local Government Controlled Areas, Facilities, Infrastructure and Roads
• Naming a place currently requires a council resolution despite there being a policy in place
• Allow residents under an approval to make minor changes to a footpath (i.e. remove or plant vegetation).
Residents can visit council’s website during May for further information and to make your submission, or head to a customer contact centre near you. Submissions close 31 May.