- Thursday 29 September 2016
Are you looking for a way to fit exercise into your busy day?
Riding to work might be the way to do it and National Ride2Work Day on October 12 – with its group rides, free breakfasts and $1000 bike shop voucher to be won – is the perfect time to give it a go.
Transport Portfolio Councillor Rick Baberowski said Sunshine Coast Council was coordinating the group rides and breakfast events.
“Ride2Work Day acknowledges those who regularly commute by bicycle and encourages other to give it a go for the first time,” Cr Baberowski said.
“It can be tempting to always put off giving it a go, because it’s daunting for us to change our daily commuting habits, but riding to work just once can show how easy – or satisfyingly hard – and beneficial it is.
“As well as feeling good about reducing carbon emissions, riding to work significantly improves fitness, wellbeing and bragging rights.
“Riding with the support of a group of colleagues on Ride2Work Day is a great opportunity to get started.”
Register on council’s website to enter the draw for the $1000 bike shop voucher.
Guided Rides (Arrive at 6am for 6.15am departure)
- Route 1 - Kawana Library (Nanyima Street) to Cotton Tree Park, Cotton Tree Esplanade
- Route 2 - Kawana Library (Nanyima Street) to Bill Venardos Park, Omrah Avenue Caloundra
- Route 3 - North Shore Community Centre, David Low Way Mudjimba to Cotton Tree Park
- Route 4 - University Sunshine Coast (free car park area) to Birtinya (Park opposite Sunshine Coast University Hospital along Braggs Street, Birtinya off Kawana Way)
Free breakfast for anyone who pedals past
- Cotton Tree Park, Cotton Tree Esplanade
- Bill Venardos Park, Omrah Avenue Caloundra
- Park opposite Sunshine Coast University Hospital along Braggs Street Birtinya (off Kawana Way)
- Sunshine Coast Council courtyard, off Currie Street Nambour
Get your bike ready for Ride2Work Day
Free five minute bike checks available at Finn and Dash Bikes, Giant Sunshine Coast, Cycle Zone, Bicycle Centre Maroochydore, Bicycle Centre Caloundra, Pro Cycles Caloundra.