- Tuesday 25 August 2015
Five environmental groups, including koala rescuers and conservation warriors, have become Sunshine Coast Council’s new partners in its mission to preserve the region’s environment for the future.
All five of the groups were successful in their applications to Council for funding under its $550,000 Environment Levy Partnership Program.
The applicants were offered a share of almost $105,000 in either a one year or three year partnership agreement, with continuing partnerships with 17 existing organisations accounting for the remaining $445,000 in funding allocated this financial year.
Environment Portfolio Councillor Jenny McKay said Council valued it community partnerships and understood that local knowledge and people power delivered better environmental outcomes.
“Council cannot physically achieve all the conservation work that is needed across the region, which is why it partners with groups through programs like the Environment Levy Partnership Funding Program,” Cr McKay said.
“The program offers incorporated community groups up to three years of funding towards operational expenses to help implement Council’s environmental strategies and plans.
“In the last financial year, Council received a huge 692 per cent return on its investment of $2.65 million into environmental community partnerships - and the Environment Levy Partnership Funding Program contributes to that figure.
“These partnerships not only represent great value for money, but they are also a way for Council to work with the groups to help them develop stronger organisations.
“Congratulations to the successful applicants. Council looks forward to working with you to achieve great things.”
The 2015/16 Environment Levy Partnership offers:
- $50,000 to Lake Baroon Catchment Care Group Inc
- $10,000 to Sunshine Coast Koala Rescue Inc
- $4850 to Friends of Maroochy Regional Bushland Botanic Gardens Inc
- $30,000 to Hinterland Bush Links
- $10,000 to Maleny District Green Hills Fund
- Total number of new and approved applications: 5 out of 5
- Total amount recommended (GST excl.): $104,850
- Total amount continuing partnerships: $443,888
- Total EL Partnership funding for 2015/16: $548,738