- Tuesday 18 March 2014
Time is running out for artists to enter the nationally acclaimed 2014 Sunshine Coast Art Prize.
Produced by Sunshine Coast Council to encourage artistic excellence and to bring quality artwork to a regional audience, the Sunshine Coast Art Prize is one of the most prestigious prizes in Australia. In its ninth year the Prize continues to attract work from some of the best contemporary and emerging artists our nation has to offer. It is open to any Australian resident working in Australia in a two dimensional (2D) medium, with the winner receiving $15,000 and an artist residency at the wonderful Arley Farm Maleny.
The award is a distinguished highlight on the national arts calendar, culminating in an exhibition of the 40 finalists at Caloundra Regional Gallery from August 27 to October 26.
A selection of the finalists’ entries will also be available for purchase at 2pm on the final day (Sunday, October 26) of the exhibition at the Sunshine Coast Art Prize Auction.
For the first time, the Art Prize includes a New Media category presented by Analogue Digital and the University of the Sunshine Coast with prizes valued at $8,000. The New Media category is open to any emerging artist aged 15 to 30 years, who is in the first five years of their practise and resides in the Sunshine Coast Local Government Area. Prizes for the New Media category include $2,500, a mentorship from Earthbase Productions, valued at $3000 and a range of other prizes.
The New Media category opens on April 1 and closes on June 9, with an application fee of $20 for any two dimensional new media artwork including photography, video, animation and projection with an emphasis on innovative digital technologies. Ten finalists will be chosen to exhibit their work at Caloundra Regional Gallery in February 2015.
In addition to the top Sunshine Coast Art Prize awards, other prizes include:
- A non-acquisitive ‘Highly Commended’ prize of $2,500 presented by the Proost-De Deyne Family
- A non-acquisitive People’s Choice prize of $2,500, presented by the Friends of Caloundra Regional Gallery Inc., which will be awarded to the artist who receives the most votes from visitors to the Sunshine Coast Art Prize exhibition.
Sunshine Coast Council gratefully acknowledges the following supporters of the Sunshine Coast Art Prize 2014.
- Friends of Caloundra Regional Gallery Inc.
- The Proost-De Deyne Family
- Analogue Digital
- Fresh PR and Marketing.
- Tamarind Spicers
- Rumba Resort
- Red Chair Productions
- Sunshine Coast Theatre Alliance
- Arley Farm
- Sunshine Coast Destination Ltd
- Positive Solutions
- University of the Sunshine Coast Gallery
- Arts Connect Inc.
- Earthbase Productions
- Maroochydore Chamber of Commerce
- Regional Development Australia
- Sunshine Coast Creative Alliance
- Sunshine Coast TAFE
- Immanuel Arts Festival.
Sunshine Coast Art Prize online entries close 5pm on Monday, April 7. For more details including the terms and conditions visit council’s gallery website.