- Tuesday 19 June 2012
The Sunshine Coast’s most sustainable and innovative individuals, businesses and community groups were last night honoured at the 2012 Living Smart Glossies Awards.
Presented by Sunshine Coast Council, the awards recognised environmental sustainability achievements in building design, construction, transport, resource management, greening the arts, and edible gardening.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the quality of this year’s nominations demonstrated the community’s dedication to creating a sustainable future for our region.
"It’s important the Sunshine Coast has a sustainable community, a sustainable environment and a sustainable economy," Mayor Jamieson said.
"Nominations showed outstanding achievements in sustainability and innovation which made the judging process particularly difficult.
"The Solutions category was very strong this year resulting in dual winners, Tom Wegener Surfboards and Global Boss International.
"We also awarded one of the region’s most innovative business couples, Bob and Chris Cameron of Rockcote Enterprises, with the Glossies Hall of Fame Award for their ongoing contribution to the region as leaders of sustainable production and business management.
"Overall it was a fantastic night with more than 150 people celebrating the individuals, businesses and community groups who help to make our region sustainable.
The awards were hosted by Gardening Australia’s Costa Georgiadis, and addressed by The New Inventor’s Veena Sahajwalla.
Winners of Glossies Awards:
- Altum Constructions – Excellence in Sustainable Design (Golden Glossy)
- PlaceSense - Resource Saver Award
- Morag Gamble and Evan Raymond – Edible Landscape Award
- Nambour Community Kindergarten and Preschool – Edible Landscape Award
- Edible School Gardens – Edible Landscape Award (Recognition of Achievement)
- Sunshine Coast Institute of TAFE – Enviro Business Award
- Earthship Productions – Greening the Arts Award
- Tom Wegener Surfboards – Living Smart Solutions Award
- Global Boss International – Living Smart Solutions Award
- Rockcote Enterprises – Hall of Fame Award