- Tuesday 07 November 2017
Downtown Caloundra is about to light up in true Christmas spirit for the annual family-friendly Festival of Lights.
Division 2 Cr Tim Dwyer, who will flick the switch on Thursday, November 30 at 6pm, said the festival was an opportunity for the community to come together and enjoy some Christmas cheer and encouraged visitors and locals alike to Downtown Caloundra for the festive occasion.
“The Festival of Lights is a wonderful family-friendly event with lots of activities for all ages in the lead up to Christmas,” Cr Dwyer said.
“More than 3000 participated last year and we want to grow this event and increase the Christmas cheer.
“I’m always excited to attend the festival and I would encourage everyone, whether you live in Caloundra or elsewhere, to come along and join the Christmas fun.”
Caloundra Business Alliance secretary Selina Smith said the festival was a great community event that was well supported by local businesses.
“We’re excited for the Festival of Lights to begin and we’ve been working hard with our Caloundra businesses to make the event bigger and better,” Ms Smith said.
SPORTFIRST shop owner Sean McMichael said it was pleasing to see everyone working together to make this event bigger and more exciting for participants.
“I’ve been running my business in Caloundra for more than 10 years and I’ve really enjoyed being able to get into the Christmas spirit with window displays,” Mr McMichael said.
“There's so many additional activities and events happening during the festival this year.
“It creates a fantastic Christmas excitement and it’s great to see the community get behind the event and Caloundra generally.”
The Festival of Lights kicks off on Thursday, November 30 with exciting street entertainment that includes illuminated stilt walkers, a harpist and a ballerina covered in lights, late night shopping, the unveiling of Christmas window displays by local businesses and the switching on of the festive lights in the trees in Bulcock Street.
Santa will be welcomed to his Caloundra workshop by a convoy of classic cars and bikes on December 2 from 10am, with his workshop opening at The Strand (Big Screen Cinemas Centre) at 11 Bulcock Street for free photos with Santa from 11am.
Other Christmas activities will include a pet photo with Santa on Sunday, December 10 and a Christmas tree lane and kids activities, including face painting and colouring-in competitions, until Sunday, December 17.
For more information about the Festival of Lights, visit downtowncaloundra.com.au/Christmas.
Festival of Lights activities include:
Thursday, November 30 from 6pm – 8pm
- Unveiling of Christmas window displays in downtown Caloundra businesses and shops
- Street entertainment – illuminated stilt walkers, illuminated ballerina and harpist
- Late night shopping
- The official ‘switch on’ of the street Christmas Lights by Cr Dwyer at 6.30pm at Minchinton roundabout.
Saturday, December 2
- 10am: Official welcome of Santa to Caloundra and Santa’s workshop in a convoy of classic cars and bikes - Bulcock Street, beaches, esplanade and surrounds
- 11am: Opening of Santa’s workshop and the start of free Santa photos. The Strand (Big Screen Cinemas Centre) at 11 Bulcock Street.
Santa’s workshop – December 2 to December 17
- Santa’s workshop will be open for free Santa photos on:
- Saturday, December 2 11am – 2pm and Sunday, December 3 from 9am – 2pm;
- Friday and Saturday, December 8 and 9 from 11am – 2pm and Sunday, December 10 from 9am – 2pm; and
- Friday and Saturday, December 15 and 16 from 11am – 2pm and Sunday, December 17 from 9am – 2pm
- Other activities will include a Christmas Tree Lane and kids activities, including face painting, colouring in competitions and more.
- Pet photos with Santa will be available from 9am – 2pm on Sunday, December 10 at Santa’s workshop.