- Wednesday 17 September 2014
Development activity on the Sunshine Coast continues last financial year’s upward trend with August figures showing a 200% increase on the number of lots approved the month before.
Council approved 21 applications resulting in 194 lots last month (August), compared to July figures of 12 applications and 65 lots.
There were also 1071 development and plumbing applications received in August, an increase on July’s 1033 applications.
Mayor Mark Jamieson said the increases reflected growing confidence in the region’s future.
“Last financial year the value of building construction on the Sunshine Coast was $1.113 billion and that excluded the public and private hospitals on the Kawana Health Campus,” Mayor Jamieson said.
“This is the highest value for the past five years, which is a significant boost for the region and the economy.”
Planning Portfolio Councillor Christian Dickson said council’s incentive schemes continued to support the upward trend and it was now much easier to do business with council, thanks to the new planning scheme.
“The efficiencies embedded in the new planning scheme are also being realised, with 36% of operational works applications received and decided during August, allowing development activity to progress quickly,” Cr Dickson said.
“Council also received 405 building and plumbing searches and planning certificates in August, the highest figure this calendar year.
“Searches and certificates are good gauge of economic activity as they are an indication of property transfers and inquiries associated with plumbing and building work and property sales activity.
“General confidence in the region, together with the increased ease in doing business, is resulting in millions of dollars being invested in the Sunshine Coast economy.
“We have some way to go, but this is a promising start to the new financial year.”
Development indicators August 2014:
• 1033 and 1071 development applications lodged in July and August respectively, continuing the upward trend of applications lodged with council in 2014.
• 36% of Operational Works applications were received and decided within the same month
• 405 Building and Plumbing Searches and Planning Certificates were received in August - the highest figure for 2014 (monthly average 335).
• 21 applications resulting in 194 lots have being approved for the month of August, which is 200% higher than the previous month of July figures of 12 applications and 65 lots.
Significant Development applications in August 2014 include:
• Lodgement of a 222 unit Retirement Village Complex at Bli Bli
• The approval of a shopping complex at Beerwah
• Approval of an 89 unit complex at Wurtulla, a 50 unit complex at Buderim and a 27 unit complex at Coolum.•
Quarterly Development Indicator reports up to June 30, 2014 are available online under the Planning and Building tab.