- Thursday 15 June 2017
Two major infrastructure projects totalling $4.8 million are among the key Division 4 highlights in the 2017/18 Sunshine Coast Council budget delivered today (June 15).
Motorists in central Maroochydore will benefit from a $2.5 million project to widen Plaza Parade from two to four lanes from west of Southern Drive to just east of Carnaby Street to tie in with the Sunshine Plaza shopping centre expansion.
Council will continue to construct the Minyama to Mooloolaba Separated Bikeway with the $2.3 million stage five, from River Esplanade to Bindaree Crescent, including a five-metre wide pedestrian and cycleway bridge over Mayes Canal.
Division 4 councillor John Connolly said the two projects were vital to help residents and visitors move around two very popular parts of the Sunshine Coast.
“Both projects are all about making access easier for everyone as the Sunshine Coast continues to grow,” Cr Connolly said.
“The widening of Plaza Parade, which comes on top of the very successful Evans St upgrade and works on other nearby roads, will help to ease traffic issues in one of our busiest areas.
“The completed stages of the Mooloolaba to Minyama bikeway are being used by cyclists of all ages and abilities, for commuting and recreational rides, and is proving to be a very worthwhile investment for our community.
“This bridge will connect those sections, making it easier and safer to ride, run or walk into Mooloolaba.
“It will also remove the need for pedestrians and cyclists to travel over the nearby traffic bridge on Brisbane Road.”
The region’s skate enthusiasts will benefit from one of the division’s biggest projects, the new Alex Skate Park, which has received $750,000 in this year’s budget.
Cr Connolly said the new skate park, designed following community feedback, would offer elements to suit skaters, BMX riders and scooter riders of all ability levels.
There is plenty of good news for Division 4 parks in the budget with $300,000 allocated for design work to renew Nelson Park at Alexandra Headland, $200,000 to remediate the ponds at Jessica Park in Minyama, $200,000 to implement the adopted landscape plan for La Balsa Park at Buddina and $100,000 to upgrade Cheese Block Park on the Mooloolaba Spit.
“That’s $800,000 for four of our most popular parks in our division and there are a number of other playground upgrades coming in Warana, Alexandra Headland, Mooloolaba and Parrearra,” Cr Connolly said
“I’m sure our families will be eager to check those out once they are completed.”
Division 4 highlights for the 2017/18 budget include:
- $2.5 million to widen Plaza Parade from Southern Dr to Carnaby St
- $2.3 million to construct stage five of Minyama to Mooloolaba Cycleway
- $750,000 to construct a new Alex Skate Park
- $732,000 for flood mitigation works at Careela St, Mooloolaba
- $406,000 for minor emergent capital works
- $300,000 for design of renewal of Nelson Park, Alexandra Headland
- $300,000 to implement the Place Making Mooloolaba Master Plan
- $221,000 to replace kerbing at Oogar St, Maroochydore
- $200,000 to remediate the pond at Jessica Park, Minyama
- $200,000 to implement the La Balsa Park Landscape Plan, Buddina
- $195,000 to develop a landscape plan between Mooloolaba and Alex bluff
- $100,000 to upgrade the Cheese Block Park, Mooloolaba
- $91,000 to replace the pathway at Emerald Woods Environmental Park, Mooloolaba
- $50,000 to improve the traffic island at Tantula Road West, Alexandra Headland
- $40,000 to renew the playground at Saleng Park, Warana
- $35,000 to replace pathway on Oloway Cres, Alexandra Headland
- $25,000 for stormwater quality management at La Balsa Park, Buddina
- $20,000 for lamp upgrade at Kawana Library, Buddina
- $20,000 to improve Tuckers Creek bridge, Mooloolaba
- $15,000 for detailed design of stage seven of Buhk Family Park, Alexandra Headland
- $15,000 to improve the playground at Pangarinda Pl, Mooloolaba
- $12,000 to improve the playground in Perraton Green Park, Mooloolaba
- $10,000 to renew exercise equipment at Alex Bluff
- $10,000 to improve the shelter and barbecue at Alan Walker Park, Buddina
- $10,000 to renew the shelter at Coopers Lookout, Buddina
- $10,000 for new playground equipment Rosella Park, Parrearra
- $10,000 to replace timber wall, Nicklin Way