- Thursday 15 June 2017
A healthy outdoor lifestyle, sports and recreation is the focus for Division 3 in Sunshine Coast Council’s 2017/18 budget delivered today (June 15).
Highlights include $1.75 million for the first stage of new AFL fields and facilities at Meridan Sports Fields to cater for the region’s growing population, $800,000 to upgrade the Kawana Aquatic Centre and $480,000 for improvements to Sunshine Coast Stadium.
Division 3 Councillor Peter Cox said the coming year’s projects would help deliver council’s vision to become Australia’s most sustainable region – healthy, smart, creative.
“The creation of new AFL facilities in our division is an exciting project,” Cr Cox said.
“Combined with improvements to Kawana Aquatic Centre and almost $500,000 of further upgrades to the stadium, this continues the theme of building great recreational and sporting facilities for our community.
“We’ll continue to add to the coastal pathway network for people to walk, ride and run along, which follows draft master plan consultation and feedback in late 2016.
“We are also continuing to ensure the core services of roads and rubbish collection are provided at a high quality for residents of Division 3.
“Additionally, around $500,000 of road safety improvements will be allocated for constructing traffic calming measures and other road upgrades.”
Division 3 highlights for the 2017/18 budget include:
- $1.75 million towards two new AFL fields, clubhouse and associated facilities at Meridan Sports Fields, Meridan Plains
- $800,000 to upgrade to Kawana Aquatic Centre
- $406,800 towards emergent capital works to be allocated by Cr Cox
- $400,000 to upgrade the field lighting at Sunshine Coast Stadium, Bokarina
- $383,900 to upgrade stormwater infrastructure in various Division 3 locations
- $201,000 to replace pathways on Nicklin Way
- $200,000 for traffic calming measures on Browning Blvd, Battery Hill
- $150,000 towards the coastal pathway
- $148,000 to upgrade Lake Kawana Community Centre, Bokarina
- $135,000 for traffic calming measures on Croydon Ave, Currimundi
- $100,000 to upgrade a section of Parklands Blvd to four lanes, Little Mountain
- $100,000 towards the planning of the Birtinya Local Community Centre
- $80,000 to upgrade the toilets and canteen at Sunshine Coast Stadium, Bokarina
- $50,000 to upgrade the roundabout at Creekside Blvd and Sycamore Dr, Currimundi
- $20,000 to replace the barbecue at Paul Niesler Park, Warana
- $12,000 to replace swings at Jack Keleher Park, Battery Hill.