Do you want to build a dam on your property?
  • Thursday 26 November 2015

To build a dam on your property, it is important to obtain all relevant approvals before you start any construction.

Building a dam is a serious undertaking. The failure of a dam can have major consequences including personal injury, economic, property and environmental damage, both on your property and surrounding properties.

Under the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014, dams are defined as ‘filling or excavation’. Factors such as location, the volume of excavated material and topographical constraints will be considered in determining whether your dam requires approval from council.

Applications may also require a referral to the Department of Energy and Water Supply (DEWS). Referrals depend on criteria such as site location, the size of the dam, the number of people at risk should the dam fail, clearing and the purpose of the dam. For more information about referable dams visit

Dams for a bona fide agricultural use on designated rural land is generally permitted, as long as it is not a referable dam (see DEWS guidelines), there is no clearing of native vegetation, and the excavated material does not leave the site.

For further information contact 5475 PLAN or click here.