Are you planning earthworks on your property?
  • Tuesday 27 October 2015

If you are planning to undertake earthworks or import fill onto your property, it is important to be aware of council permit requirements, and the possible impacts these activities can have on your neighbours. In some cases importing fill material onto a property can alter existing drainage and may lead to local flooding and stormwater problems.

Many properties in our region, especially in low lying areas, are located on flood plains. Importing fill material in the floodplain is not generally encouraged because it reduces the available flood storage area, which can lead to an increase in flood levels and affect flood behaviour on other properties.

Undertaking earthwork activities and importing clean fill material onto private property is regulated through the Sunshine Coast Planning Scheme 2014. Certain work can be undertaken without a permit from council but the requirement of a permit depends on a number of factors, for example, zoning, lot size, flood hazard mapping, and drainage deficiency.

If you are considering earthworks on your property please contact council’s Development Information team on 5475 PLAN who can provide guidance and advice on permit requirements.

For more information click here.


First appeared in Sunshine Coast Daily 26 October 2015