- Tuesday 20 May 2008
Sunshine Coast Councillor Keryn Jones will take a lead role in environmental issues across the region after being given the environment portfolio under the new council structure.
A portfolio system was introduced to enable the Sunshine Coast Council to better address critical regional issues. The system supports the refocussing of councillors from former Local Government and divisional boundaries to the delivery of strategic outcomes to create a prosperous and sustainable future. It also supports the specialised expertise and knowledge of individual councillors.
Cr Jones said she was honoured to take on the responsibility of the environment portfolio.
“My decision to run for council was fuelled by my passion and commitment to ensure the Sunshine Coast retains the lifestyle, values and natural environment that are so important to the community,” she said.
“I have an excellent understanding of the environmental issues facing the region and will work to protect the unique natural flora, fauna, beaches and waterways that make the Sunshine Coast the beautiful place it is.”
The council’s portfolios are aligned to the functions and membership of the committee system, outlined below.
Organisational Performance Committee
- Financial Management – Cr Chris Thompson
- Economic Development and Council Entrepreneurship – Cr Lew Brennan
- Community Engagement and Governance – Cr Christian Dickson
- Corporate Planning and Performance Management – Cr Tim Dwyer
- Inter-Government Relations, and Water Reform – Mayor Bob Abbot
Strategy & Planning Committee
- Statutory and Regional Planning – Cr Russell Green
- Integrated Transport Systems – Cr Vivien Griffin
- Environment – Cr Keryn Jones
- Social Strategy – Cr Anna Grosskreutz
Service Delivery Committee
- Asset Management and Works - Cr Ted Hungerford
- Service Delivery – Cr Paul Tatton
- Community Policy and Programs – Cr Jenny McKay
- Major Projects – Cr Debbie Blumel