Cr Johnston - Road ownership
  • Thursday 18 February 2021
HAVE you ever wondered if a particular road belongs to council or the State Government?

Good news, the Queensland Department of Transport and Main Roads (TMR) has added a new feature to their QLD Traffic website, 'Road Lookup' – visit to try it yourself.

Another tip is that TMR generally controls roads which connect towns and often roads named after towns are TMR roads. The feeder roads are usually council controlled.

When a TMR road is also the main street of a town, while the actual road is theirs, the car parks and pathways are usually maintained by council.

I hope this helps you in identifying which organisation to contact should you need to report any issues.

To report matters regarding council roads visit where you can lodge an eRequest online or chat with a Customer Service Officer using Council’s Live Chat.

You can also contact council’s Customer Contact Centre on 5475 7272 or email

To report matters regarding state roads, please contact TMR on 13 19 40 or visit

Another topic I’d like to bring to your attention is the importance of being a responsible pet owner.

Please ensure your pet is well behaved and clean-up after it. There is plenty of information available on council’s website to help you responsibly care for your dogs and cats.

Many people don’t realise both must be registered with Sunshine Coast Council.

As a cat owner, you must also ensure your cat doesn’t pose a risk to wildlife. Keep your cat contained and don’t let them roam off your property.

Until next time, please do keep an eye on my Facebook page for the latest Division 5 news and information, visit

You can also contact my office directly by sending an email to